Noyes basin to Seattle basin beta please..

banos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some pix fm the elwha basin taken this past weekend .. may be helpful .. but if it was ez it would have been done .. fm the other side on the skyline it looks pretty dicey -- sorry no pix of that

mts seattle and noyes

[img:left]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3846457538_5be2603878.jpg[/img]

m

[img:center]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/3845668061_05c92eb11b.jpg[/img]

Nice pictures. I too am interested in the viability of the crossover at left-center in Mikester's picture above.

Silence: do you have a larger version of the picture at right in your post? By the way, based on my reading of the map, Mt. Seattle is the point on the left in the left photo. Pt. 5987 halfway between Seattle and Noyes is the point on the right. And Mt. Noyes is the far right point in the right picture (the summit is just barely visible right of the tree at frame's edge).

I gave this route a lot of thought when I did a Baily/Skyline traverse a few years ago. If you are very fit and ready for a hard day, it should be doable. Being neither, I took the easy way and came around through low divide.

There is a decent size stream that comes down between Seattle and Noyes. I would probably follow it up at the spot where it joins the stream being fed by the Elhwa snow finger. Once you drop off the snow finger, you will get a nice look at the route and can decide if you want to cross the Elwha sooner lossing less altitude. It looked like the bottom section was going to be some hard bushwacking up slide alder.

IMG_1590.JPG

The photo above shows the route up from the bottom of the snow finger. It didn't strike me as a place where you would find a place to pitch a tent so make sure you have enough time to get all the way to Seattle basin.

IMG_16091.JPG

The Seattel basin side looked a lot easier. The peak on the left is Noyes and Seattle is on the right. The treed notch to the right of Noyes is where you will cross.

If you want to connect the Bailey and Skyline, you might consider sidehilling around the West side of Queets joining the Skyline near Lake Beauty. If you do a search, you will find other discussions on that route. Good Luck,