Mattress

Who Dares

I was sold an exped downmat 7 sleeping pad, but I notice some mountaineering types using only the folding or roll up foam mattresses. Is there an advantage to the foam mattresses over the inflatable? What seems to be the preferred mattress among people in the know?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the ultra thin yellow MEC hardman foam pad gives you that cutting edge look. Solid 10 points for hardman rating.

the yank foam pads have the little softer edge look. Award 2 hardman points.

the inflatable thermarests are for comfort laden folks. No hardman points awarded

your pad is decadant. You lose hardman points and must make up by soloing 5.10 alpine routes.

the only advantage foam has over inflatable is durability. Put a hole in both and see what works better. Foam is not as cushy though.

For one night a foam pad is OK. For multiple nights both a full length foam with a 3/4 length inflatible is common. But yours is probably lighter, warmer and more comfortable than my 2 pad system. A very good pad and worth the money. (which is why you don't see more of them around)

I thought I'd step up to the hardman plate and do without my beloved fatty Thermarest on my last trip to do Prusik Peak in June. What I learned from that mistake is it was well worth the extra 2 or 3 pounds to get a good nights rest by bringing the Thermarest. I guess I am just a wuss, but that Z-Rest sucked and I did not sleep well at all. I won't make that mistake again... the fatty Thermarest and chair/cover are going with me next time, and every time there after. I sleep on my side or belly and can never get comfy enough to sleep with the foam pad. For car camping, I like the huge inflatable that also doubles as a floating siesta gizmo on the lakes.

Yes, a good pad is worth the money. I have had my fatty Thermarest well over ten years now and no leaks yet. However, I took a cheapo inflatable on a 35 day trip up the north side of Denali and it popped early on. I tried to repair it several times with no success. My buddy punctured his Thermarest and his repair held the first time. ALWAYS buy the best gear you can get, you will be so pissed when the cheap gear fails out in the middle of no where (IMO).

the ultra thin yellow MEC hardman foam pad gives you that cutting edge look. Solid 10 points for hardman rating.

the yank foam pads have the little softer edge look. Award 2 hardman points.

the inflatable thermarests are for comfort laden folks. No hardman points awarded

your pad is decadant. You lose hardman points and must make up by soloing 5.10 alpine routes.

the only advantage foam has over inflatable is durability. Put a hole in both and see what works better. Foam is not as cushy though.

For one night a foam pad is OK. For multiple nights both a full length foam with a 3/4 length inflatible is common. But yours is probably lighter, warmer and more comfortable than my 2 pad system. A very good pad and worth the money. (which is why you don't see more of them around)

GP is right on here and you will get bonus hardman points when you look like shit the next day due to no sleep. I like my sleep, I climb better after a good nights rest. Hell, I flipped for the Tempurpedic mattress at home and it was well worth the $2200, or whatever I paid, as I no longer wake up with a back ache like I did 6 years ago before I invested in the best mattress I could find.

I will no doubt lose more hardman points to Genepires, but I also like the 2 pad system. I'm with Denalidave...I climb better and safer when I've had some Z's. I think in addition to durability the closed cell foam pad insulates better. I use my 3/4 Z-Rest under my Thermarest Prolite 3 and this works well for me. I haven't had any leaks and sleep warm even on snow. I'll get my hardman points with burly approaches and other manly alpine deeds.

The real advantage of foam is that it's lighter. I have a pad that I got in Peru that is about half as thick as a normal foam pad, and provides very little padding or insulation unless it is folded in half, so really its half length. I only bring it when I am really concerned about how much weight (weights half a pound or less) I am bringing, and will usually spread out the rope and my pack to sleep on for more insulation. I don't always sleep well all night doing this, but I've gotten used to it and it's good enough. For the winter or when I don't mind the extra weight I use a thermarest. I'd like to get one of those light weight 3/4 length thermarests; they're the best of both worlds.

Well, it's all about weight & cost.

If you get used to it, a foam pad will save quite a bit on both. After hiking the PCT with a single 3/4 length foam pad, I'm pretty used to the thin, not much comfort way of doing things. It's about 1/2 pound, vs about a pound for the light end of Thermarests.

When I car camp, I'm always amazed at how plush my 3/4 ultralight thermarest from ~10 years ago feels.

YMMV if you're on snow or bare rock. On dirt, foam is fine (if you're used to it).