January - March, where would you go?

builttospill

Assuming money wasn't an issue (i.e. airfare is no big deal, but weren't not rich either), and time wasn't an issue, where would you go for alpine climbing in January, February or March. I may have a chance to do a long trip during that timeframe, but it kind of falls outside my normal plans for summer climbing.

The Ruth Gorge comes to mind in the later part of that timeframe (March, April, May). Patagonia might work? (don't know, never looked at a trip there seriously). The Cordillera Blanca seems to be out. Ecuador might work? But is there much alpine climbing there, or more snow and glacier slogs?

I'm not looking for standard-setting climbs, just good, long, moderate alpine routes on ice or rock. Up to 5.9 or 5.10, WI5. Preferably with a reasonable chance of success (this might eliminate Patagonia). A variety of moderates/easy stuff would be good too.

Any other places I should consider that I haven't mentioned? The Alps? The Coast Range? The Cascades? Kind of a shot in the dark, but I figured I'd ask around.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a bad idea. I don't know anything about the mountains there, really.

Also, I should have mentioned that when I say 5.9 or 5.10 rock, that's in "summer" conditions. I'm not real interested in climbing hard rock in a Cascades winter. That just sounds miserable, personally. But moderate stuff would still be fine.