PDX Wilderness First Aid/WFR Recertification 9/26

darstog

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been looking for a good wilderness first aid course. Anyone take this class before and want to pipe in on how good it was?

It appears that the course will be taught by NOLS WMI instructors, and is being offered locally through the Catlin Gabel School. If indeed the course is taught by NOLS instructors, I would jump all over this if you're the least bit interested in a great course in WFA or a WFR recert that goes far beyond the Red Cross's First Aid/CPR/Call 911 course (which ain't gonna do ya a shit o' good in the backcountry, BTW).

I recertify my WFA every two years through NOLS WMI here in the Tri through my local hiking/climbing club as the course sponsor (much like what it appears Catlin Gabel is doing). We charge a non-refundable $160-$180 per student (but half-off for club members, like me) to take the 2-day course. I wouldn't shell out those kinda bucks every two years if I didn't think it was well worth the cost. Just make sure that the course and the instructors are NOLS/WMI, which by the link above it appears they will be. That's my $0.02

Just out of curiousity, what is the difference between WFR and WFA? What is covered in the WFR course that won't be covered in this WFA course? I'm considering taking this, but if it makes more sense to take a WFR course, then perhaps I should wait.

WFR (Wilderness First Responder)

An 80 hour course, half classroom/half hands-on, teaching you how to stabilize and package patients with serious injuries. Pretty much the same topics as below, but it takes them far beyond a WFA. Students completing this course know that they can confidently help someone with a medical emergency. Lots of hands-on time with patients in the field (non-urban environment), plus practical tests assessing, treating and packaging patients in a wilderness setting.

WFA (Wilderness First Aid)

A two day class that serves as a refresher (recertification) to existing WFRs or provides an introductory class to people with no wilderness first aid education.

Day 1

* Emergency Management

* Patient Assessment

* Musculoskeletal Injuries

* Splinting

* Dislocations

Day 2

* Soft Tissue Injuries

* Shock

* Diabetes

* Head Injuries

* Heat and Cold Related Illness

* Asthma and Anaphylaxis

C-

I would add that unless you intend to spend a shitload of time in the BC or become a guide of some sort, then the WFR is overkill for the Weekend Warrior. Others here will (no doubt) disagree with me on this point.

But in 25 years of doing this shit, I have treated several kinds of injuries of varying severity with no problem with a bi-annually renewed WFA. That's why I recert every two years: there's a lot of shit covered in just two days, and if you don't review it/use it/practice it from time to time, you will lose it. Vigilance...

PS: WFR is a significant cost outlay over and above the WFA.

PPS: Nice to see you again, but could you peel a little more skirt off yer avatar? OKTHNXBAI!

Bug really got to you, huh? That's too bad...

I miss your creamy thighs and the firm globes of your ass...

It wasn't Bug at all. By the way, I love his current avy. Fits perfectly, and excellent artwork.

It was actually one , (1), did I mentioned ONE person (female) that didn't like coming to a climbing site and being threatened by the objectification of women? I get that...I guess. So, I prefer to play nice.

My apologies for the drift, Darstog.

• 2 weeks later...