Route preference on Sahale?

t_rutl

Looking to take a quick jaunt up Sahale Saturday. The roomie needs a moderate trek to get back in the swing of things after recovering from an ankle injury. Haven't taken the time to mount up on Sahale yet and she looks like a good option.

How's the Sahale vs. Quien Sabe Glacier approach and route compare? I've got that both are realativily straight forward but any preference or is it 6 one way, half dozen the other?

-T

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to take a quick jaunt up Sahale Saturday. The roomie needs a moderate trek to get back in the swing of things after recovering from an ankle injury. Haven't taken the time to mount up on Sahale yet and she looks like a good option.

How's the Sahale vs. Quien Sabe Glacier approach and route compare? I've got that both are realativily straight forward but any preference or is it 6 one way, half dozen the other?

-T

Ascend the Qui'en Sabe and descend Sahale arm for a great loop climb.

QS has a few large crevasses to navigate. The Arm has one gap that you can walk around in two minutes.

QS has a longer approach via Boston Basin, which is great for camping if you plan to go overnight. The Arm has a trail that's shorter, friendlier, more continuously scenic, and well suited to a day trip.

Both end on the summit, which has some of the best views in the state. Both have great views along the way.

So....that's a long-winded way of saying if you plan a daytrip go do the Arm.

that's my first choice and looks like a fantastic trek but this is my buddy's first trip out after a 6 week layoff...i think a repeat will be in order later in the season

QS has a few large crevasses to navigate. The Arm has one gap that you can walk around in two minutes.

QS has a longer approach via Boston Basin, which is great for camping if you plan to go overnight. The Arm has a trail that's shorter, friendlier, more continuously scenic, and well suited to a day trip.

Both end on the summit, which has some of the best views in the state. Both have great views along the way.

that's the info i'm looking for...QS looks like more of a "challenge" but the Arm looks more condusive for what's needed

thanks all!!

peace,

-T

that's my first choice and looks like a fantastic trek but this is my buddy's first trip out after a 6 week layoff...i think a repeat will be in order later in the season

that's the info i'm looking for...QS looks like more of a "challenge" but the Arm looks more condusive for what's needed

thanks all!!

peace,

-T

I climbed the Quien Sabe in mid August a few years ago and crevasses were hardly an issue.

The approach to Boston Basin is steeper and more strenuous than the approach up the arm, but it is gorgeous. It's not that much longer in terms of time.

As a day trip, I'd definitely go with the loop hike as a first choice, and the car-to-car up the arm as the second choice. Last choice would be to ascend and descend via the QS.

Enjoy!