Pearly gates '09

chrix

Sorry to post yet another question on Hood SS route - but I am a Western NY'er flying out this weekend heading to tline. We have a 2-3 day window to summit hood this time Sunday-wed(last year we got turned away ~8500ft and its a long trip to not even get up to the hogsback) and I was wondering if anyone has been up the gates this year? I know last year the old chute was the preferred route, and from the TRs ive read so far this year - thats the same.

I would like to go up the gates, as we will have 2 tools and are more ice climbers than mountaineers, but I want to know if anyone has been up there and at least can give me some info.

on another note - if anyone is gunna be staying in tline early next and want to enjoy a beer together, let me know!

-chris.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to get the same info on the Pearly Gates and how thy are shaping up this year. No one has been forthcoming with any beta. The long range forecast was better today for the weekend. My partner from Colorado and I tried the week before last and got blowen off. We make it about 100 yards from the lodge at 6000 ft. with 40 to 50 mile and hour winds and gusts much stronger. We chose to turn back. We will try again. Avalanche Danger is reported to be bad after tonight. Hopefully it will lessen by the weekend. It is raining like hell here in Portland and the snow level is at 5000 ft. This is as of 5/4 evening. I may be willing to make a go on Sat. night into Sunday.

FYI I have not done it.

Take two screws and a couple of pickets if you feel you need that. You should be fine. If it is anything like it has been the last couple of years it is not that long, just make sure your sticks and kicks are good and solid. THe snice can be tricky that way.

You better post a TR for those of us stuck in town. I will do the sun dance and send good vibes.

We left tline at 11:15 PM sunday night, got up to the palmer in a couple hours, and turned around at 8500 due to weather. man it was nuts up there. had to put on the belay jacket on us just to be able to stay fairly warm and protected fromt eh jelly bean snice coming down at our faces.

possibly make another go at her tonight (monday night) but unlikely...