Devil's Kitchen

wargowsky

Can someone give me some beta on devil's kitchen? I've read a bunch of TR's and it looks like nearly team i've seen takes a different coulior. I know there are a couple variations, but where does the actual route start? From what i've read it should be pretty obvious, but i'm having a hard time piecing it together from the pictures that i've found. any help here would be great. thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

? the route starts in the devils kitchen, eh? you know, large smoking fumarole on right as you approach the hogsback? from that little bowl, pick a line up to the summit ridge and get after it! :)

i'm assuming you've been up the south side route before?

This will be our first time on hood. We're coming in from Pittsburgh. We've done some climbinging in the cascades before, just not on Hood. I know where the devil's kitchen is, I'm just not sure which coulior to take. It looks like there is at least 3 or 4 lines that lead up from the bowl. Do they all eventually lead to the summit? If so, is there any reason to choose one over another (ie. better climbing?, more direct?, is one more avy prone than another?) Thnaks again!

ah, okay - bad assumption on my part. yeah, they basically all work and are all pretty safe, avy wise - they do rain down ice chunks when too warm/windy.

if you're looking to do somethign other than the main s side route (whicht he dk route only deviats from for a very short time) i'd recommend luetholds coulior or the reid headwall or, if you're willing to do the n side approach, the cooper spur as they're all much cooler.