Fossil Rock...

Frenchy

Just found it the other day. Enjoyed it for the proximity to Oly and the ability to go up something other than a parking garage.

Just curious about history and any other resources on the spot apart from the Smoot and what can be googled.

Geologic history? Who found and how?

Half pulled bolt left of the bulge still chilling?

The opposing wall and history?

Access? (witnessed other 'civilians' driving the roads that are apparently gated)

Who owns if not Weyerhauser?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Jim Yoder and Marlene Ford wrote a guide. Jim and Mike Massey introduced me to the place, perhaps 20 years ago. The best wall out there features sport climbs to 5.13 and was developed by Mike, Jim, Ted Otto and others. Another Tacoma climber who knows the area much better than I, the only one I can think of who regularly participates on this site, is PhoQ.

It looks an awful lot like the "ground" around the creek coming out of Mt St Helens crater which makes me believe its some kind of hardened ash with all kinds of rocks in it. I remember someone telling me it came from Mt Rainier. Its more or less an outdoor homemade gym and the second best climbing area < 1 hr from Olympia.