Patagonia Questions

erikhenne

My wife and I have planned our first trip to Patagonia and I have a few questions I can't seem to find the answers to. Maybe someone here could help.

1) My stove uses campinggaz. Will I have trouble finding these canisters? Specifically in El Calafate or Puerto Natales?

2) Our longest trek will be in the Torres del Paine. Do any of the huts have outlets? It would be great to recharge my camera batteries rather than loading up on $80 proprietary batteries

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back December 12th... and yes to both questions.

Puerto Natales is a major city, you will find anything you want there (except camping in close proximity).

In the Torres, depends on how long you're in there for - are you doing the W circuit, and if so, how many days are you planning on? There are major hotels in the park, and even the organized camping beside the road has full facilities (i.e. showers, wind/rain shelters at each campsite, fireplace with grill for asados). At the refugios along the W, at either end there is power for sure, but I can't say about the 'interior' ones - I'll consult my Torres map when i get home from work for ya.

Any other places you have questions about? My wife and I cycled from Bariloche to Ushuaia over 2 months.

My wife and I trekked around Torres del Paine for our honeymoon in 2002. We did the complete circuit but went clockwise rather than the usual direction which is counter-clockwise. The major difference going clockwise is that you take the steep way up the pass to get to the backside and then get a gentle downhill walk. Going the other way may be best for weak hikers (easy uphill) but then you get a very steep, knee jarring descent. One thing to consider is the weather forecast. The front side is more scenic and if the weather is good when you arrive, then definitely go the way we did and do the "W" first. If the weather is shitty but the forecast is that it will improve, then you might want to go counter-clockwise so that by the time you get back to the front the views would be better. We did all the side treks including Valle del Francese and every mirador. All are highly recommended.

The popular front sided refugios in the "W" are all very nice and sell food and beer. We went late season and the refugios on the back side were all closed, but looked much more rustic. The old refugios were still standing back then and gave some shelter when we needed to cook in the rain or wind. Don't think about sleeping inside them as they are infested with rodents.

If you have a few extra days, check out the Lago Pingo area. We trecked out to the end of the trail and camped for a few days. There was nobody around and the side treks around the area were beautiful. There is a way to do another circuit around from the end of the trail per my old guide book but the rangers told us it was off limits when we were there. We were a little leary about the river crossings anyways.

A great way to get back is via sea from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt. There was a cargo ship (ours was loaded with cattle) you could catch a ride on. It took a couple of days and gave awesome views along the coast. There was a section of open ocean where everyone was puking, though.