[TR] Hyalite Canyon - Various 12/5/2008

mkporwit

Trip: Hyalite Canyon - Various

Date: 12/5/2008

Trip Report:

I managed to get out to Hyalite Canyon this past weekend for the Bozeman Ice Festival. We spent three days climbing and taking clinics during the day, followed by great slide shows in the evening. Definitely worth a trip as those folks put on a great event.

We got into town late on Thursday night. It had been very cold the previous couple of days. Friday morning showed a temperature of -6F. Seeing as I didn't bring a disguise to get into the womens' clinic my friend Mike and I headed off in search of something easy to warm up on. All of the easy stuff on Genesis/Mummy was taken by the women, but we found no one on Hang Over, a great WI3 up and to the left of G1. Mike led it and set up top ropes, and we ran laps on it the rest of the day. The ice was hard and would shatter under our pics, but we had a blast.

That evening had a slide show by Roger Strong on climbing in the Canadian Rockes and a new route on Kichatna Spire. We also found out that CC.com's John Frieh placed third in the Ice Breaker Invitational on Thursday so anyone that sees him should buy him a beer :tup::brew:

Saturday and Sunday brought much warmer weather. It was barely below freezing at night, with daytime temperatures of around 40F. We spent both days in clinics, getting instruction from people like Roger Strong, Rafal Slawinski, and a large contingent of the fine folks at Montana Alpine Guides. We climbed on G1, G2 and Mummy. Due to the warm temperatures the ice was pretty plastic, though at times it felt like someone had turned on a cold shower above us.

Saturday night was another great slide show, this time by Rafal Slawinski, on climbing in Pakistan and his winter ascents in the Canadian Rockies. Another great evening.

The festival is very well run. Lots of guides, lots of gear reps, cool people and plenty for the newbie and pro alike. Definitely check it out if you get the chance.

No pics since I forgot my camera :mad:

Gear Notes:

If you're there for the clinics, you don't need any gear as you can demo everything you need, including harnesses, boots, and shell clothing.

Approach Notes:

Drive east on I-90 for a really long time...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great meeting you guys Friday! Sounds like you all had a great time!

We also found out that CC.com's John Frieh placed third in the Ice Breaker Invitational on Thursday so anyone that sees him should buy him a beer :tup::brew:

My partner in the ice breaker was Bryan Schmitz who posts here as powderhound! Team Portland and cc.com represent! :wazup:

Great meeting you guys Friday! Sounds like you all had a great time!

We also found out that CC.com's John Frieh placed third in the Ice Breaker Invitational on Thursday so anyone that sees him should buy him a beer :tup::brew:

My partner in the ice breaker was Bryan Schmitz who posts here as powderhound! Team Portland and cc.com represent! :wazup:

Congrats to the both of you. Way to kick ass :rawk: