Looking for accessible alpine ice training ground

Brewer

Hey. I know there's not much snow out there yet, but I'm planning for my winter activities (which will basically be preparing for spring/summer activities).

What I'm looking for an area to brush up on techniques (building anchors, belaying, rapping, climbing, etc). Ideal characteristics:

45-50 degree slope

No more than a mile or so from a(n open) road

Alpine ice (does this occur in the winter?)

Somewhere in the mid to north Cascades

If anyone knows some nice places that fit all or most of the criteria, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Will also post this in the No.Ca. forum.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were alpine ice a mile from an open road, there would be long lines to climb it.

Alpine ice (does this occur in the winter?)

But alpine ice occurs more like in the spring.

That said, 3, and sometimes even 4, of your requirements are met in the lowly Alpental valley. Alpental has lots of very steep slopes, open year round, and is in the mid Cascades. It also sometimes has water ice! It really is a great winter training ground. It has very serious av hazard in places, too. Check the forecast before you venture out.

As for alpine ice, Chair Peak or the Tooth or similar such destinations offer that during periods of decent weather.

go to 2 oclock falls in the david thompson hwy in alberta. Moderate angle. minimal avi hazard. close to road. easy for you to work on skills. Super fun and scenic. Take a couple days off and head up to banff for a long weekend. You will get more done in a 4 day weekend there than an entire season down here.