Would Like To Start Ice Climbing - Chicago Area

PolishPete

Hey guys. I need some input on where and hows about to go to get into this sport. I'm just getting into climbing in general, rock and alpine, leaving for Longs Peak this coming week...but from all my research and insight into the sport thus far, I think ice climbing looks like a blast and maybe something I'd like to get into.

What are some recommendations for getting into the sport living in the Midwest, where I presume there might not be a lot of good climbing to be done? (I could be wrong, Wisconsin or Michigan might have some great places).

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Governor Dogde SP in Wisconson has a few flows that form up. Also Starved Rock SP has a few. I don't know any details. Check out ClimbinCentral.com for beta, partners, etc. Also, southern Illinois and Devil's Lake in Wisconson each have good rock climbing.

As an Illinois expatriate, I found the best way to get better at ice climbing was to move to Alaska.

Edited by Jake_Gano

Oh, and more importantly...

Many moons ago was I climbing (here in AK, actually) with a blonde girl named Stephanie from the Chicago - north shore area. She was sixteen and exceptionally cute at the time, which if I do the math right puts her about twenty-three and smoking hot by now. Keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.downwindsports.com/ice_fest.html

It was my first time ice climbing, at the Michigan Ice Fest. Could be a nice time to get started, if you want to demo some gear and see a slide show. Otherwise, go up there on your own with a pal (or a smokin hot 23 year old) and have a good time. Plenty of TR-able ice if I remember correctly, but ask Down Wind about that- they should be able to provide all the info you need.

One of the best ice climbers in the world got started while living in Chicago - so its possible to get into it from there.

Already mentioned are Governor Dodge and Starved Rock. There is also some old privately owned quarry in WI somewhere, but the owner charges an outrageous fee to use it. But basically you need to get up to Lake Superior (UP of MIchigan and North Shore) and Minnesota to find anything consistent.

Check out climbingcentral.com for local conditions and events, like the Sandstone ice fest, Michigan Ice fest and Nipigon Ice fest. I think there might be another fest on the northeast shore of Superior as well. The best climbing is along the north shore of lake superior around thunder bay and nipigon (canada) - which is a haul for you, but people do it regularly. You just need to get on with some of them.

You might have better luck finding climbers out of madison.

good luck.

donnie (formerly of Minnesota...)