Kicken it in the San Juans

danhelmstadter

Thinking about heading out to Friday Harbor, for a month or so, --already got a labor gig lined up, but locations to car camp in my mini camper remains a ? -- more than likely the area is crawling with cops, waiting to dish out citations to long haired dirtbags "loitering" in their beat up vehicles.

Anyone have anything to say about the quality of living over there? is it a tourist fest, or are there a lot of artsy babes and cool bars?

thanks

dan

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just move it around every night or two. Try on the north side over by Roche Harbor (it's about as far away from the ferry landing as you can get, and hence, equally far away from the gaggle of yuppies that drink/shop in Friday Harbor).

You could try parking/dirtbagging on the side of the road to the dump/landfill. Cops got no business going by there; you should be good to go there.

Stay away from islands like Orcas and Lopez, they're full of artsy/fartsy types and wineries, which will attract tourists, and hence cops to "protect" them. No cool bars that I know of, and the "babes" at Doe Bay on Orcas don't shave... :noway:

Just move it around every night or two. Try on the north side over by Roche Harbor (it's about as far away from the ferry landing as you can get, and hence, equally far away from the gaggle of yuppies that drink/shop in Friday Harbor).

You could try parking/dirtbagging on the side of the road to the dump/landfill. Cops got no business going by there; you should be good to go there.

Stay away from islands like Orcas and Lopez, they're full of artsy/fartsy types and wineries, which will attract tourists, and hence cops to "protect" them. No cool bars that I know of, and the "babes" at Doe Bay on Orcas don't shave... :noway:

Roche Harbor might not have as many yuppies, but it has more than its share of yacht-snobs. I do like the cannon ceremony at sunset though. As far as Orcas, there's a cool little bar in East Sound. It has one of those video trivia games where the girl takes off more clothes as you answer the questions correctly. There's some good trail-running in Moran State Park too. You're right about the artsy goof balls though. Warren Miller lives there, so it can't be all that bad.

Cops are a pain in Roche Harbor. It's all those yacht snobs and their flyin buddies at the airport. Lots of nice places to dirt bag around the island though. It is rough this time of year on any of the islands. When are you headin up. Most of the once or twice a year types are in the islands right now. So the good dirt baggin places are full of the owners. If ya figure a time give me a shout.