[TR] Crossover Peak - East Summit - Southeast Ridge 6/15/2008

Trip: Crossover Peak - East Summit - Southeast Ridge

Date: 6/15/2008

Trip Report:

After bailing from Hozameen because of lots of snow on the trail and a super late start nine other BCMC members and myself decided to camp in Chilliwack, picking up my rock gear on the way, and climb crossover on Sunday. We were going to camp at thr riverside campground at the start of Nesakwatch road but Jos offered to let us camp behind his house when we called to invite him along (he ended up going to vancouver intead though) After a late night chatting and hanging out we all got up at 5:00 and headed out. We drove up Nesakwatch creek to about 10 min from the Slesse Memorial Trailhead and started off. The trail was pretty nice, without too much brush on the old road, and we got the group up to the plaque in about an hour. From the memorial plaque we headed down accross the creek and started bushwacking up the old growth towards Crossover's East Peak. As we climbed the snow got less patchy and much nicer until we finally broke out of the treeas onto the neverending snowlope below crossover. We kicked steps up and over several bumps and our goal slowly got closer and closer until, after a bit of a slog, we were all at the base of the route! yay! We decided to split into two rope teams and we would all simul-climb the entire route. I grabbed the small rack and started leading up the ridge. The climbing was a lot like North Nesakwatch Spire but more fun and continous.. less walking and boring stuff. The ridge got steeper as we continued and the climbing got even more fun. I could have climbed easy ramps right of the crest but I took a direct and exposed route up the crest, placing pro every 50-75 ft.. sometimes I didnt place anything for a really long time but the climbing was easy and fun.

The group moved really quickly up the ridge and I soon found myself finding a way around the big summit block. I walked around and pulled my self on top of the block and the team all took turns standing on the summit. The register showed that the peak was not oft' ascended and only a few parties had been up there. After descending down the west ridge and rapping back onto the snow the party split up. Me and four other climbers started traversing the steep snowslopes over to the west peak of Crossover. One of the four climbers turned back as the climbing looked fairly steep and we weren't planning on roping up. We climbed a steep gulley up towards the ridge but the rock wasnt great, it was a bit late and we didnt feel like downclimbing much so we sdescended back to the snow and glissaded/ran all the way down to the forest. A quick downhill bushwack brought us back to the road/trail and we eventually were back at the cars at the base. The entire trip took about 10 hours with the group and the climb was a great start to the alpine rock season. Plus I got to get a good look at one of my next goals.... Slesse's famous North East Butress. Over all the route was an enjoyable and easy route, a lot of fun, and is located in an amazing area. All the gear you need is a few cams to hand size, a few runners and maybe 5 mid-large stoppers ... the climbing is quite easy and any challenges can be bypassed on the right. I would solo it for sure...

IMG_0293.jpg

Slogging up snowslopes to our goal

IMG_0290.jpg

Climbing up with Crossover in sight

IMG_0286.jpg

Our route is right in the middle of the mountain, facing the camera

IMG_0288.jpg

Looking down to Nesakwatch Creek

IMG_0305.jpg

Nearly at the base of the route

IMG_0325.jpg

Getting onto the ridge

IMG_0328.jpg

Me getting ready to lead up the ridge

IMG_0349.jpg

Climbing the ridge, I can be seen up the ridge on the crest

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Typical climbing, somewhat steep, low-5th class

IMG_0360.jpg

Me on the summit in the yellow helmet, Lief beside me also on the peak

IMG_0366.jpg

Me on top of Crossover East Peak

IMG_0374.jpg

Me and Dan on the summit

IMG_0382.jpg

West Peak of Crossover, we climbed the obvious snow gully and the rock for a while before turning around.

IMG_0388.jpg

Traversing snow

IMG_0406.jpg

Me and Slesse

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic