Horsehead Arch Beta Request

spotly

Anyone familiar with this feature in Blodgett Canyon? Heading over next week and wouldn't mind checking it out depending on where it's at in the canyon and it's bushwhack factor (wife hates ticks....me too for that matter). I sent a request off to the author of the SP page but no reply yet. Horsehead Arch

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere in my ancient pics is a shot of me rappelling down from one of the horns.

It is a cool feature. I climbed the right side in mountain boots when I was in highschool. It is probably 5.6 but that was 30 years ago. The slab getting up to it was 3rd and easy 4th class.

Although, with the fire debris there might be complications and rockfall. Get someone with a telephoto to climb SHoshone at the same time and get pic of you in the arch.

The ticks tend to hang out on the southern exposures.

The spotted ones are the carriers. Flick them off with a stick or your fingernail.

It is up canyon and on the other side from Shoshone. Probably even a little upstream of Flathead.

A pic from Shoshone would be a good angle as it would frame a snowfield in the background and give some good contrast. The hole is about 60 ft in diameter. It is hard to see from the main trail but there are some spots where it is viewable.

The pic is deep in my parents attic in Missoula. Not much chance of finding it any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...