Becky Guide of the Himalaya's???

ken4ord

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks you guys, awesome I guess I got my homework.

Lowlander I wish I was going to be living in the mountains there, but I am not and I will have to work eventually so I want to make the most out of my time when I do make it up there. The tough part is going to be living at sea level and heading up there for trips.

jmace I have never really had any problems with Chessler books, but I think you are right I believe it is one man show.

Ken4ord- I think the quickest you can do those trekking peaks round trip from Kathmandu is 6-7 days. Kathmandu is at 5,000 ft. So you get a little elevation. Some peaks are at 18,000 ft. So the altitude wouldn't be too different than Rainier here from sea level. Just getting to the peaks and acclimatizing can take a little bit of time. But climbing in the Khumbu region or Annapurna region could be the fastest due to the flights out to Lukla or Pohkara(sp?). Some peaks in the Annapurna take a few days to hike to, but you do acclimatize as you hike.

If you can't climb, at least do the annapurna circuit. You can jog it in 3-4 days or hike it in 9. Or check out the Terai region, most people just think of Everest when they think of Nepal, but there is an incredible jungle region in the south.