Tag Line

spotly

I found this comment in an article at Rope Systens :

"The rap/tag/haul line can stay at the bottom of the follower’s pack for most routes, and then be brought out when time to make rappels. For particularly hard climbing, the leader might clip it to the back of his/her harness to haul one or both packs or to tag gear while aid climbing or short-fixing."

Not sure what the bolded area is saying. Could someone clarify it for me?

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aid climbers will typically have the second (tag) rope clipped to their harness. If they need gear that is down at the belay, then they'll yell down to the belayer to tie it to the rope and the leader pulls it up (tagging gear). This only works if the leader is less than a half ropelength from the belay, unless they have a haul line as well.

Shortfixing is used when the leader can solo. The leader leads up to the next belay, pulls up all the slack rope, and ties the middle of the rope into the anchor (fixing the rope). He may also do this with the tag or haul line as well. Then the leader continues leading to the next pitch while the follower jugs the rope and cleans the pitch. Once the follower reaches the belay, he can tag up gear.

Aid climbers will typically have the second (tag) rope clipped to their harness. If they need gear that is down at the belay, then they'll yell down to the belayer to tie it to the rope and the leader pulls it up (tagging gear). This only works if the leader is less than a half ropelength from the belay, unless they have a haul line as well.

This confuses me... is not the tag rope the same length as the lead rope? If so, then why can't gear be sent up to the leader all the way to the next belay? What am I missing?

Well, granted if it's overhanging, I can see that you only have half a rope with which to work. But that wasn't made abundantly clear in tomtom's explanation.

The way tomtom explained it, it was as if one could never tag gear more than half a rope length. Clearly, I have tagged gear for longer distances than that. But then, I haven't climbed El Cap... :grin:

well, i guess i cleared it up for ya then big boy. add some lenght with your haul line or your cock if your a real hardman. you seem smart enough to figure this shit out yourself or do you enjoy calling people out on petty bullshit as well ;)

i never climbed el cap either. i hired a crew of mexicans and they did it twice as fast and alot cheaper than i could. they tagged a micro wave up and crammed a haul bag full of tortillas and chorizo sausage. ariba.

well, i guess i cleared it up for ya then big boy. add some lenght with your haul line or your cock if your a real hardman. you seem smart enough to figure this shit out yourself or do you enjoy calling people out on petty bullshit as well ;)

I heartily enjoy it. It makes me feel better about myself. Like driving an ugly sports car... :laf: