[TR] Alpine Lakes - Colchuck Glaicer 5/5/2008

Hendershot

Trip: Alpine Lakes - Colchuck Glaicer

Date: 5/5/2008

Trip Report:

On 5/4/08, my buddies & I intended on doing a short ski tour. Stopping at Stevens Pass, we weren't too enthused at the prospect of spending such a fine day on a minor objective so we opted for the Colchuck Glacier. Starting late at 10 am, we parked a mile or so below the trailhead due to snow, which tact on another 40 mins. We booted up the hard pack through the trail until reaching softer snow that permitted skinning. John packed his downhill set up and used hiking boots & snowshoes for the approach while Andrew & I rocked the AT setup. We ran into two snowshoers who turned around due to navigation difficulties before reaching Colchuck Lake. Upon reaching Colchuck Lake at 3 pm, we had a renewed vigor.

P5040453.jpg

The snow wasn't breakable crust but a light layer of corn instead. No one else was there, but a nice skin track.

P5040459.jpg

We set our turn around time at 5, not wanting to ski through the trees in the dark. About 1000 feet short of the col, we descended. A fantastic run in ideal spring conditions, I thought the best was over, but the real challenge was skiing through the trees back to the trail head. Hard pack, rocks, trees, and sharp turns with high banks from previous traffic made it a delightful second run. We made it back to the car at 9 without using our headlamps which is a successful day trip in my book.

P5040458.jpg

Gear Notes:

Skis or snowshoes, the recent warm weather has made this post hole central.

Approach Notes:

The Mountaineers creek road is drivable, except for the last mile or so, a bit before the bridge.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic