[TR] Shuksan - White Salmon Glacier 4/26/2008

AlpineK

Trip: Shuksan - White Salmon Glacier

Date: 4/26/2008

Trip Report:

[font:Arial Black] White Salmon Glacier [/font]

[font:Times New Roman]On Wednesday the 23rd JH and I tried to ski up on Shuksan on the way back from our Phelix Creek trip. We bailed due to bad visibility that day. I looked at the forecast and picked Saturday as the best return date. On Saturday JH, Amar, Dave, tanstaafl, and I drove up to the lower lot at the Baker Ski Area. We debated about our start time since we did not leave the car until 9:15 AM.

The ski up is straightforward. Just follow the cat track towards Shuksan then traverse through the woods and descend slightly to the base of the White Salmon Glacier. From there head up the glacier. We did run into one tricky spot when Amar opened up a crevasse with his ski, but with a more detailed look at the snow surface conditions we made it up to the top of the glacier. We could have easily skied up Winnie’s Slide, but an extra 100 ft of vertical didn’t seem worth it.

After a brief lunch break, it was all downhill. The skiing was nice on the upper half of the glacier. The upper slope was all nice powder. We had a great start. About 2/3ds of the way down we hit some breakable crust. The sun warmed the crust enough by the time we hit it that the skiing became more challenging, but not too hard. In the end, we had a great run to the bottom of the slope.

.IMG_0281_Medium_Web_view.jpg

Looking down the White Salmon Glacier

IMG_0288_Medium_Web_view.jpg

The view back towards the top. We saw 5 other people out skiing this day.

From there a traverse with a little uphill skiing takes you back to the ski area cat-track. The ski area bar was open on our return to the car, but we chose to drive home.

All in all an excellent day skiing. [/font]

Gear Notes:

Skis, Boots, Skins, poles. Water and some type of sun block is nice.

Approach Notes:

We started from the lower parking lot at Baker. They do gate the parking lot when the ski area is closed. You might have to find parking out on the main road.

Stay at a steady altitude till you are in the basin under Shuksan. You may want to descend some at this point

Edited by Feck

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a trip report on TAY with more photos, plus details of what was for me a very scary crevasse incident, especially being my first time punching through on skis.

It was a great trip and fun skiing despite that scare, and it was also nice to finally get out and ski with you all after meeting so many times at Dante's and elsewhere.

Like I said on TAY, thanks for the heads up on the crevasse Amar! From sounds of the TR, it was more serious than I thought, glad you are ok.

I haven't figured out how to post picks on TAY, but snapped one of you guys on your way down as my buddy & I were headed up.

P4260370.jpg

At 2 am Sunday, we didn't get the freeze we were hoping for and gave up our summit attempt after considering other factors. Dug a snow pit and went back to our tent. P4270387.jpg

P4270391.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Crevassed on the White Salmon? Read this article and note the observations from the head of the ski patrol.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/s...al_gam_mostview

Its about falling unroped into a bergshrund on the Spearhead. Three parties in the area and the successful rescue only came about because of a call from a satellite phone and the time and efforts of volunteers.