Rope Choice

JBo6

I am looking at buying a package of a Mad Rock rope and 10 quickdraws, and have the choice of a 10.2 Non-dry and a 9.8 dry rope. I am a newbie, thus the post here, so I am not super concerned with the rope wearing out super quick, because once it does I will then know what I actually want/need. Basically, is there any difference that would matter?

Here is the rope info:

http://www.madrockclimbing.com/madrockropes.aspx

And here is the package:

http://www.climbaxe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=70

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go with the 9.8 dry if you like the idea of a lighter and easier to manage (I find) rope that you can get wet without worrying about decreased strength... if you are just planning on simple cragging in the sun the 10.2 ropte may last longer..
What are you talking about? What gave you the idea that a non-dry rope would lose strength when wet? It's all about weight. Wet ropes are HEAVY!

go with the 9.8 dry if you like the idea of a lighter and easier to manage (I find) rope that you can get wet without worrying about decreased strength... if you are just planning on simple cragging in the sun the 10.2 ropte may last longer..
What are you talking about? What gave you the idea that a non-dry rope would lose strength when wet? It's all about weight. Wet ropes are HEAVY!

CBS, I always thought this was true as well. Actually, I thought there were three reasons to get a dry (or double dry) rope (lighter when wet, more durable and stronger.) Am I just buying the hype?

CBS, there was a post somewhere here that showed wet ropes to be weaker by a little bit.

But for me, it is the weight and freezing factors that top the list.

I have a 9.7 60m bi-color superdry that I use for alpine and cragging. I love it.

for the choice that the OP is looking at, I'd go with the 9.8 dry rope. If the dry rope & non-dry rope are the same price, I'd go with the dry rope any time - even if planning on only using it in dry conditions. In addition to what's mentioned above, some dry treatments seem to reduce friction (on rock or on biners) a little bit too, which is nice.

Sure, the 9.8 may wear out a little faster than the 10.2, but by the time it does, you'll be able to find another good rope deal...

Great thread...and great tip. I've just bought one of these 9.8 dry ropes for myself...for occasional cragging, but for simple alpine missions this summer.

Great deal...and no shipping charge either!

Edited by Jud

• 3 weeks later...

for a first rope the 10.2 is fine because you will probally be doing more top roping than hard red point ascents. Then when you start trying harder routes, thats when the ounces srart adding up and then you buy the Mammut 8.9 single.