Classic Cracks at Tum Tum

pu

The Classic Cracks area at Tum Tum is closed to climbers due to it being on private land. The landowners home is to climbers right of the area on the north side of the road approx .1 miles from the old parking pullout. He might let you climb there if you ask nicely ahead of time. He showed mercy on us and let us finish even though we hadn't asked permission. His main concern is liability. I noticed on the WCC site that there is a specific washington law that limits his liability when climbers are on his property. I am working on this issue with the property owner. If anyone would like to help, feel free to contact me. Especially if you live in Spokane and climb at Tum Tum. Roadstead? Pindude? etc.

Joe Lind

CDA

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a law on the books protecting landowners from liability issues with recreational use of their property, and it had specific language amended to it regarding climbing a few years ago thanks to efforts by Andy Fitz and others. Who's the Access Fund rep in your area these days? I'm sure they could be a great asset in your negotiations.

The Classic Cracks area at Tum Tum is closed to climbers due to it being on private land. The landowners home is to climbers right of the area on the north side of the road approx .1 miles from the old parking pullout. He might let you climb there if you ask nicely ahead of time. He showed mercy on us and let us finish even though we hadn't asked permission. His main concern is liability. I noticed on the WCC site that there is a specific washington law that limits his liability when climbers are on his property. I am working on this issue with the property owner. If anyone would like to help, feel free to contact me. Especially if you live in Spokane and climb at Tum Tum. Roadstead? Pindude? etc.

Joe Lind

CDA

Joe, Thanks for taking the initiative on this. Our Access Fund rep is the same one listed for WA at the Access Fund website--Jonah Harrison from Seattle--but I've yet to meet him. He *may* have the exact info Off White is referring to. Yes, indeed a landowner is protected from liability from recreationists.

I've avoided Classic Cracks since the house was built, and have never contacted the landowner, but given that the area was at least once popular and is in the guidebooks, it's good that we as climbers are at least communicating with the landowner. Not sure if Roadstead has ever met him. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks again.

Steve Reynolds

RCW 4.24.210 is the law to which O_W refers.

Make sure you read, and provide a copy thereof to the landowner, the "Notes" at the bottom of the linked page. The law was designed/amended specifically for rock climbers.

This has been on the books for about 5 years now, and IIRC, it has been tested in court and found not wanting.

pu-

Your landowner in the Tum Tum (or anywhere in WA for that matter) should fear not, as long as he doesn't start charging a fee for access/recreation that goes beyond gathering firewood.

Thank you thank you thank you, Andy Fitz and everyone else who helped to bring this law to fruition.