Zoom vs. Tikka

slaphappy

I have always relied heavily on my Petzl Zoom. Recently I have been using the Tikka, and have become quite fond of it, choosing it over the Zoom for obvious size and weight differences. I am headed out for an extended trip involving your typical alpine start. Until now I have not "trusted" the Tikka for this use. Packing my pack I would sure like to huck my Zoom in the scree,(relax I'm not gonna litter) and take the tikka. Has anyone done any moderate route finding and glacier travel with this gem? Is the light sufficient? Would you recomend it, or should I stick with my trusted Zoom? I appreciate any help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

slap,

i don't own the tikka(thought it was junk) but i do own the princeten-tec led light.....there is no other headlamp i would rather use...the led bulbs are great you dont get to see much farther ahead, but then again when i am plodding along i am not looking much further then a few feet....and it is not like the zoom is a spot light... go forth and trust your little tikka. and light on the glacoer at nite is cool, especailly for those techicolor ascents....

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 07-09-2001).]

I agree with Eric. If you want to see far ahead, go with your zoom. Otherwise, the Tikka is fine.

We were bushwhacking around 1:00 a.m., not sure if we were going the right way, I'm glad we had a Petzl Zoom. However, we could have gotten by with the Tikka.

A problem with white LED lights in general is the light is so blue-white that they don't facilitate night vision. There are some yellowish LEDs that help with seeing in low level lighting, maybe a mixture of the two would help.

As for the Zoom, you can make a serious spolight out of it with a little rigging. For my main caving lamp I converted an old Petzl mega (basically a zoom with a 3 "C" cell batt pack) to a 6V set-up. Just cut the batt pack off, screw in a 6v halogen, solder on some burly mini jumper cable type clamps and get one of those square 6v batts. The set-up is heavy for sure, but for extended batt life (12 hours or more is pretty common) and a light like the sun, it can't be beat. It's easily three times as bright as a regular zoom with a halogen.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

slap,

i don't own the tikka(thought it was junk) but i do own the princeten-tec led light.....there is no other headlamp i would rather use

you and ED VEISTURS huh? but you aren't getting paid to use it either, right?