Picket Range end of May/June am I stupid?

dietcookie

This whole time I was looking at the various goods in the Pickets but I just sat here for an hour going through info on Fury. I think I have made my choice

This would be the equivalent of going to the horse races and putting your entire stack on the long shot in the first race. Great fun if things work out, but...

Personally, I'd go with previous posts and come with a handful of options.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The Ptarmigan Traverse (or part of it) would look pretty fun around that time of the year.

I was thinking of that for mid-August this year meself...

Why wait for august?

In addition to the obvious reasons that Wayne stated, it's also the only time of year that I will have available for this trip.

PS: Learn how to add an autosig that isn't part of every one of your posts. No one likes to quote a post and have someone else's autosig pasted into their reply. :rolleyes:

Click on "My Stuff" at the top of the page, then go to "My Profile" and scroll down to Signature. Obvious from there. Good luck. Carry on.

I'm not the climber some of these other guys are, but with only five days in hand, that time of year, I wouldn't try for the Pickets. The obvious, and high quality, May/June destination in this state is the Stuart Range. In ascending order of excellence on Stuart itself (with the first being pretty damn excellent): West Ridge, Ice Cliff Glacier, Stuart Glacier Col., Northwest Face, North Ridge. Conditions may eliminate some, but something on that list will go, and access should be manageable from the north. Also accessible depending on your time and energy: Dragontail-- NF-Stanley/Wickwire, Triple Col's (this year...who knows?), Colchuck--Glacier Route, Sherpa--North Ridge, Prussik Peak--West Ridge, South Face. All quality, all within striking distance of the same trailhead.

The Stuarts are just about the furthest east you can go, which gives you your best shot at a weather window, and even if the weather is generally crap, you'll probably have a shot at something. And if you really, really have to punt, there's always Vantage and pulling jugs in the desert.

Have a great visit!