Static ropes for top roping?

bstach

I've been using static ropes for top roping for years. But one time I brought it to a "mountie" event and got chewed out and told 'no static rope top roping at club events'.

Seems to me static ropes are actually safer (less stretch) and more durable. The only possible exception being if the belayer allows alot of slack to build up a fall could shock load the anchor.

Discuss.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We toproped on static ropes at NOLS and NOLS is at least as safety-conscious as the Mounties, I would think.

As a belayer, you do have to be aware that taking a fall with slack out is going to be uncomfortable for the climber, but I think the risk of a decent anchor blowing due to using a static rope is pretty low.

Well, "static" ropes aren't actually static. They stretch, just not as much as dynamic cords. Anyone who has jugged or hauled on a static can attest to that, and the manufacturers report the % in their stats. Many, many insitutional programs, gyms, etc use statics for their TR lines.

Sounds like typical overly anal stance from the Mounties who learn and repeat rather than investigate and think.

Notice the original poster wrote "mountie", not Mountie. And that he is from Canada.

Whatever...we have our own version of the Mounties up here...my point wasn't to criticize the Mounties...but to see if i was off base. I agree with the poster who stated this is a 'learn and repeat' issue. Sadly,when i brought it up with an executive member, he took the "you need to support/obey the leader" stance instead of engaging the actual issue.

I've been using static ropes for top roping for years. But one time I brought it to a "mountie" event and got chewed out and told 'no static rope top roping at club events'.

Mabye they are worried that someone would try to lead on it not knowing it is a static line or not knowing that leading/falling on a static rope is bad.