knees

So, I was riding my bike the other day, and ended up putting my foot down super hard, and now my left knee feels all funky.

It doesn't feel like my collateral ligaments, more like cruciate "deep funkyness" and I've got a bit of infrapatellar pain. My joint capsule also seems to have some fluid build up, so there is definately something going on in there. It doesn't exactly hurt, it just feels weird.

I tend to be paranoid, so of course I'm worried about ACL stuff. Any PT's or Mike Laytons have any calming thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was riding my bike the other day, and ended up putting my foot down super hard, and now my left knee feels all funky.

It doesn't feel like my collateral ligaments, more like cruciate "deep funkyness" and I've got a bit of infrapatellar pain. My joint capsule also seems to have some fluid build up, so there is definately something going on in there. It doesn't exactly hurt, it just feels weird.

I tend to be paranoid, so of course I'm worried about ACL stuff. Any PT's or Mike Laytons have any calming thoughts?

did you feel or hear a pop?

No. No pop. I did have two dislocations of my patella a couple years ago (after jumping off a cliff on my snowboard and landing in a hole - I'm not genetically predisposed to this) and it was decided that I tore my MCL and [possibly] sprained my ACL. Since then, my left knee has not been the same - I occasionally get this infrapatellar pain.

Basically I've had ZERO problems with it for 2 years. Now I'm freaking out.

"So, I was riding my bike the other day, and ended up putting my foot down super hard"....

You probably know this, but spinning faster rather than pushing harder is generally considered better for your joints and more aerobically efficient. I've read several different recommendations as to what spinning speed is best, but I generally just keep the pedals moving around 90 rpm. Anyway I have little knowledge of knee physiology re: cycling stress, but good luck!

Since I understood zero of the physiology described all I can provide is some anecdotal information. I met a doctor a few years ago who damaged one of the ligaments in his knee. All his doctor buddies told him to get knee surgery to get it over with. He decided that the damage from surgery would be worse than what he had done and went on a rigorous physio routine in order to strengthen everything around the knee. He has since done an iron man.

From that I would say that if the damage is not severe enough to completely destroy the stability of your knee you should invest some time in some physio to strengthen the system supporting the knee. Sometimes knowledge breeds paranoia.

Edited by hafilax

Yo!

It's all gonna be guesswork unless you get an xray and MRI. Then again, knee rehab is pretty much the same for most conditions!

RICE it, Strengthen your VMO and adductors, stretch your hams and adductors. Check your gait, hips, and spine for biomechanical imbalances.

Knees are weak links and indicators of problems elsewhere, so if nothing's actualy done broke inside your knee bones and whatnot, it's probably something structural elsewhere, or something your doing wrong in your exercises.

"or something your doing wrong in your exercises."

Ha Ha, yeah, my kind of bike riding is a little, um, different than the average/smarter than me Joe. I was riding BMX and was doing a 180 over a little six foot gap, and ended up putting my foot down like a hundred times before I actually pulled it. Basically pounded the crap out of it. This of course is right after a long weekend of snowboarding, and doing some full squats in the gym last week.

I'm relaxing a little more tonight, and think whats going on is inflamation of my Plica, and/or irritation of the infrapatellar tissue. I think the "weirdness" in my knee is to do with the joint capsule having more fluid in it because of inflamation, and increasing the joint pressure - which changes the way everything is sliding around.

I had the Lockman test done, and my knee is still super tight - meaning my ACL is in all likelyhood just fine, thank god. I'm still a worrier none the less!

Orthopedic tests don't mean much unless you break the structure you're testing and have a surgical suite handy. It is probably the plica with inflammation - but you'll never know without the magic picture!

rehab'll be the same

Edited by layton