AT Boot From STP

telemarker

Despite my Avatar, I'm locking the heel for the first time this winter since I can remember...

Sierra Trading Post has a few randonee boots. I've narrowed it down to the Scarpa Avant boot or Garmont Hi Rides. At over 6' and 195 lbs, fairly aggressive skier, which boot would be most appropriate at finding that balance between touring and turning control?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pay more attention to specific fit . . . talk to a professional boot fitter: touring in a boot that doesn't fit your foot well is torture and will make you have to work much harder to get the ski to do what you want it to do. Generally speaking, Scarapas have high volume and arch while Garmonts are narrower with less volume. Boots are one thing I would never skimp on. Skis, bindings, sure, but not boots. And the Avant is about as far away from agressive as Scarpa gets.

I ski/tour/climb in Garmont Mega-Rides. I am very happy with their performance. I can't believe how well they ski. Remember your boots are key to having fun. I feel if you are an aggressive skier, you need a 4 buckle boot. I would also recomend dynafit bindings. Looking down at your skies at high speeds to see next to nothing holding your ski to your boot is wild.