Tower climbing/rigging work

BillA

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there,

I've worked as a radio tower tech, cell tower tech, and high-steel rigger for large concerts and events in Denver, CO. I love working and playing up in the air, and for me it's been great fun. Unfortunately, the pay is not as good as you may think. I started as a cell tower tech in Sacramento, CA at about $13/hr. Now, I think they probably start people at about $15/hr because the demand for tower climbers has definitely increased.

I haven't met nearly as many climbers as I would have expected in the industry, but nonetheless, you learn lots of interesting skills dealing with the more heavy-duty side of rigging; not to mention some wicked exposure up on some of those towers!

You can most likely get on with a cell tower company. Work involves a LOT of traveling. Typically, you'll get a set "per diem" to cover hotel/food costs on the road. When I worked in Nevada, I just slept in my truck, pocketed the per diem, and made a shitload of money, which I used for back-to-back climbing trips to Yosemite, Kyrgyzstan, and Pakistan.

The work is pretty easy. Lots of stabbing bolts, climbing, rigging ropes/pulleys/winches, replacing old antennas, installing microwave dishes, replacing light bulbs. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me. For a good listing of who's hiring, check out wirelessestimator.com