Spot Satelitte messenger

Frikadeller

Has anyone seen this or used this yet? I know the don't officially sell them till next month, but I imagine someone has tested them.

What do you guys know about this? Thoughts?

I know, here comes the MLU noise, but this one can also send "non emergency" messages too...

http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/spot/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC

spot.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So are these things going to kill more people than they save? Who wants to bet that more people push on when they should turn back because they have one of these in their packs, thinking "It's okay, all I have to do is push a button, and the cavalry will come save me!" Are these going to wind up being "body locators"?

So are these things going to kill more people than they save? Who wants to bet that more people push on when they should turn back because they have one of these in their packs, thinking "It's okay, all I have to do is push a button, and the cavalry will come save me!" Are these going to wind up being "body locators"?

How many people are going to die because of that new pair of running shoes? Going out, getting hit by cars, killing themselves all because those shoes let them push themselves :lmao:

why not go with a PLB instead?

A normal PLB only sends an emergency message.

This one, while also cheaper, can send "i'm ok" messages as well as track your progress/route etc. which I think is pretty neat. I know a standard GPS can do this too, but this one sends it to whatever recipient you choose.

My wife saw this , and thought it was a good idea, since I tend to travel far outside any cell phone contact for multiple days etc.

I guess just a little security blanket for her. Personally, if I where single, I could care less about this product.

How many people are going to die because of that new pair of running shoes? Going out, getting hit by cars, killing themselves all because those shoes let them push themselves :lmao:

Yeah, but the purpose of running shoes is not to get you rescued. The purpose of this unit is. I'm sorry if that point was over your head.

:P

Yeah, but the purpose of running shoes is not to get you rescued. The purpose of this unit is. I'm sorry if that point was over your head.

Thats not the entire purpose of the unit, but I guess your point is that it is still a rescue transponder.

But then again, so is an Avalanche Beacon. Do you also think that carrying a beacon causes more deaths from Avalanches?

Thats not the entire purpose of the unit, but I guess your point is that it is still a rescue transponder.

But then again, so is an Avalanche Beacon. Do you also think that carrying a beacon causes more deaths from Avalanches?

No, I'm saying I bet some people will see this as a rescue transponder, and there will be some that will take more chances because of it, thinking "I don't need to worry, I have this trasnponder to take care of me if things go wrong." I'm not saying everyone will use it this way - I'm not planning on running out and buying one. But I'm saying I bet you'll see some people snuff it from reliance on external rescue than their own abilities.

No, I'm saying I bet some people will see this as a rescue transponder, and there will be some that will take more chances because of it, thinking "I don't need to worry, I have this trasnponder to take care of me if things go wrong." I'm not saying everyone will use it this way - I'm not planning on running out and buying one. But I'm saying I bet you'll see some people snuff it from reliance on external rescue than their own abilities.

I see my point was entirely over your lizard brain. Everytime some new bit of rescue tech, or even tech that could be used for a rescue like a cellphone, comes along some feeble minded soul bitches about it and claims some induced rescue effect. To date I've never seen any study substantiate this effect.

I see my point was entirely over your lizard brain. Everytime some new bit of rescue tech, or even tech that could be used for a rescue like a cellphone, comes along some feeble minded soul bitches about it and claims some induced rescue effect. To date I've never seen any study substantiate this effect.

I see you missed my point entirely, and my explanation just got you started name-calling. I give up.

P.S. Einstein, you did notice that my original post about this was a question, not 'bitching', as you put it. I don't know why you women take every post so personally.