Suggestions for crampons on Trango S EVO?

AlaskaNative

I'm looking for suggestions on which crampons might fit needs ranging from use on snowshoeing trips that turn out to need pons for parts of the trip, up to lightweight mountaineering on Baker, Ingraham, Emmons, etc.

It would be great if it could span to higher difficulty terrain later, but that's not a requirement at this point.

For some of the higher glacier trips (summer only), I'm considering a boot like the Trango EVO Glacier, also, if that's the recommendation.

I assume a new-matic is preferred to the hassle and compression of a strap-on, but open to advice.

Also open to suggestions on models, but it seems these 3 get high ratings:

- Black Diamond Contact

- Grivel G12

- Black Diamond Sabretooth

Not sure how much the anti-bott devices are needed, so interested in opinions on that also.

Last, is how people like to carry their pons; dedicated carry case, tied on somewhere, protective guards, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the Grivel Air Tech. They are aluminum so they won't last long on rock, but they are super light, fit that boot well, and they come equipped with antibot plates. I've used them as have many of my friends. BD also makes an aluminum crampon I think it is called the Neve, haven't used them, but they are light as well.

Hey there,

BD Sabertooths are always a good choice as the come with bots and are good for a wide array of activities. A bit heavy for ultralighters, though.

BD Neve is a good aluminum 10 pointer. Light, but a bit soft for late spring summer if ya get a lot of rocks.

Botts are nice, keep the clumping down and the newer ones fit quite nicely and are quick to remove if you wish.

I use a Petzl 'pon case unless I'm going light then face the points together and wrap with straps.

I'm with 'mtnview' above on this one, except I use them on the Trango S Evo's. This is the best rockclimbing boot/crampon setup I've yet used. The points are somewhat shorter than others, and seemingly less wobbly.

I just turn the points towards each other and strap them to the pack. I've never felt the need for carying cases. Extra unecessary weight in my humble opinion.

I have the Trango S EVO boots and use them for summer glacier climbs and mid 5th class alpine rock climbs, for which they are perfect (if it's not too cold). I have the Grivel G-12's for any serious glacier travel and Trango aluminum crampons for everything else and have found they are secure and fit well. I like the anti-bot plates, as I've had balling up of snow with other crampons. Any of the other options suggested will work, it's a matter of preference and features. I have used rubber crampon covers if I put the crampons in the pack with my shell and other gear. When I strap them on the outside, the less weight the better. I hope this is helpful

Sounds like so far nobody really advocates the Contact pons, and instead would recommend aluminum unless you're exposed to a lot of rocks.

Several prefer the G-12 to the Sabretooth, but I was wondering if there was anything more specific about the difference, like weight, grip, ease-of-attachment, durability, balance, fit, bots, versatility, etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far, and interested in anything else on these two pons.

good fucking lord are you trying to imitate my gay ass patagonia lifestyle of mindless gear fetishism?

Buy a pair of Sabretooths and be done with it.

Can't argue with your assessment.

Looks like I've hit the point of diminishing returns on benefit vs time spent in gear anxiety...

Looks like I have to use the Sabretooth Clip-On and not the Sabretooth Pro, because those boots don't have the proper front welt.

Crampon guidance for Trango S EVO

Crampon guidance for Scarpa Charmoz

Just to show I can't say quit til I've obsessively stressed over each detail, here's a couple write-ups I found and was wondering if anyone agreed/disagreed with the comments on these two pons:

Sabretooth at AlaskaMountaineering.com

G12 at AlaskaMountaineering.com

Found some other reviews here:

Sabretooth at REI

G12 at REI

Sabretooth at Backcountry.com

G12 at Backcountry.com

Sabretooth at Trailspace.com

Sabretooth at OutdoorReview.com

G12 at OutdoorReview.com

Vendor page for the Black Diamond

Vendor page for the G12