Silvretta 500s vs. 505s

ryland_moore

I know I'd have a blast with heavy duty AT gear up there on denali...but I'm trying to find a compromise between survival skiin' and having gear thats too heavy for my liking...If weight wasn't an issue I'd be bringing my T1's and AK Launchers! I have no lofty goals to ski rescue gully this time around...just want to have a successful climb...who knows...maybe Ryland and I and our other partners in crime will come back another year and try the steeps.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do like I did and take both climbing boots and randonee boots. I probably spent 95% of my time in my scarpa lazers, but I was happy to have my invernos for the actual climb. Yeah it added alot of weight for the ski in and they are real bulky, but in the end I was happy that I brought them. I would have been real happy if we would have done our anticipated route.

I was up there with Mr. Radon and I know he was jealous of me after having to do 6000' in his denalis. Definitely not good for french technique, which is all you will see on the butt.

If you are doing the west butt you will be spending alot of time at 14k and I guarantee you will regret not having good boots if the skiing conditions are prime. The skiing made the trip for me. Plus a good pair of boots makes the ski down a little easier too with that damn sled.

As for skis and bindings I was on a pair of Dynastar Big's w/ diamir bindings so they are incompatible with my climbing boots. Fatter ski, awesome in the powder. Go at 188. A little on the heavy side, but I got them on sale.

No matter what you do it will be a good adventure.