Topo Maps

CraigA

Has anyone tried any of the computer topo maps? I was wondering about their detail and accuracy. I've seen a few and they all seem to be around $100 give or take a little. It would be nice to be able to print out the exact area your going but, if the detail and info isn't there then I'd just as soon go buy the USGS maps.

Any info will be appreciated.

Craig

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The detail is almost as good as the USGS maps, as long as you have as good printer. It's rare that you can't make out a terrain feature that you would be able to on the originals.

Some benefits are:

1) the maps you print out are more compact than a full USGS quad (and you can make them double sided)

2) you can print them out on waterproof paper, and not worry about keeping them dry.

3) you can overlay UTM grids... not all the base USGS maps have UTM grids.

I use the Natl Geographic TOPO! maps. Very cool. In addition to points already made

(1)it will take the course you plot and calulate an elevation profile and distances

(2) provide you with GPS waypoints, which for more money you can download to your GPS (yet even more money)...but my GPS was a present and I just enter the coordinates by hand

(3)allow you to choose your Datum (I use the UTM instead of lat/lon as it's easier for my small brain)

(4)as already mentioned, you can print different scale maps (one detailed and one larger on the reverse side) or using the waterproof/tear resistant paper you can copy the route description on the back and it's all in one place.

I wouldn't go back to buying USGS maps unless I absolutely had no choice.

btw, having a color printer is the only way to go. [big Drink]

topozone.com has USGS topo maps available online, free - and better printing versions for a small fee. They print fair to excellent depending on your printer & configuration. I've used them for 1 off trips to areas where I dont' want to spend the money on a "real" map.

Carl

I use Delorme's Topo USA - less expensive than Topo!, and has more up to date info concerning trails and roads. The profiling features are easier to use than Topo! also. Plus, it has a 3D engine that will render the area you have selected. An example can be found on my web site for a trip up to El Dorado.

I got my copy at Costco for $40, it included CA, OR, WA, NV and AK...