hmmmm

Peter_Puget

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they will come in grape, since this type of microbicide will most likely be formulated with some other type of microbicide that may have anti-retroviral (ARV) properties. ARV are used for controlling the the virus, they can also cause resistance to treatment if absorbed systemically. I guess if it was sold as a lubricant (not a microbicide) and not formulated with other microbicides, then maybe Peter you can have a grape flavored peter.

There is a good chance that most microbicide can be all in one, though that will be determined later for most of them. Most of the money for microbicide development is centered around HIV prevention, so that is where most the research is focused. There have been preliminary studies with some microbicides that show other STD preventative properties. Hopefully in the future they will do more work with this since active STD's can increase the risk of HIV transmission. Sounds like they have been studying this microbicides HSV 2 prevenative properties, :tup: for them.

The Gates Foundation is one of the largest donor in the world today for microbicde research. I am not sure if they will be interested in being a purchaser. Drug cost is generally related to the cost of drug development (laboratory research, animal testing and clinical research). Ideally by covering the cost of development the drugs can then be sold at a manufacturing cost in developing countries, manufacturing cost are generally quite low for a product such as microbicide, which then makes them accesible even low income people.

One thing I found interesting is they said that man would apply the gel before sex. I wonder if they got a little confused with safety studies. Currently all of the microbicides that are being studied that I am familar with are applied by the woman in the vagina or by a man in the anus offering protection for a period of time. In early saftey studies male volunteers will be asked to apply the gel daily for a period of time to their penis to see if there is any adverse effects. I guess in developed countries leaving the responsibility to the man could work, since men take more of an initiative to protect themselves and partner. In Africa, the main push for microbicide development is that women can protect themselves even without their partners involvement, which with current HIV protective measures the man has to be involved, i.e. condom use.