• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
IceIceBaby

the quest for perfect alpine boots

IceIcebaby,

I don't know if it's just me or what but I have blown out the back on two pairs of these boots(LaSportiva Eigers).The spot I've had the failure in is above the heel where the leather and the rubber meet.Same spot on both pairs.This happened to both pairs at about 10 months of use.I am fairly hard on boots and I thought I had found a bullit-proof solution but I guess I was wrong.I must add that I have had (and still have)other LaSportiva boots and they have been my favorite brand of leathers.Anyway,I'm about to try the new Salomon Pro ice.I'm glad my Eigers were from REI because I can just exchange them.The down side is that they have a very limited selection of leather boots at this time.No LaSportivas at all!hence the Salomons.Wish me luck!

quote:

Originally posted by Chief Joseph:

IceIcebaby,

I don't know if it's just me or what but I have blown out the back on two pairs of these boots(LaSportiva Eigers).The spot I've had the failure in is above the heel where the leather and the rubber meet.Same spot on both pairs.This happened to both pairs at about 10 months of use.

Hi Chief

That is exactly why I was skeptical of the Trango ice and the Eigers (what happened to the rule of thumb…build a boot with minimal seams…less is more…) I just think that its all in the cut and the boots should be made with this rule in mind after all its not a sneakers with stiff sole it need to handle the environment …something in the way of leather processing need to be made that will make the leather supple enough to work with and tough as nails for the environment I don’t think its too much to ask…ohh…I wish u good luck chief

[geek][geek][big Grin][big Grin]

Any updates on the Salomon Pro Ice, or La Sportiva Trango Ice???

I need a new boot. I can't decide!!! I've had the Nepal Tops for 3 years, but they really do put the pain on. I need something lighter.

I've looked around on the internet, Climbing Magazine's Gear Guide, Climbing's shoe review this may, and the dealer websites.

All the weight info was contradictory, and weights varied from review to review by as much as 3 lbs!!!!!!

Needless to say it's next to impossible to see these new boots, since no one caries them!

Any more info on the previously mentioned boots, and also the Kayland boots?

Thanks, I need new boot soon!

So far so good but I haven’t subject them to the real test so cant really tell u the Salomon Pro Ice are comfortable and well made but they are too new to say more [geek]