[TR] Darrington - Dreamer 6/30/2007

mattp

Trip: Darrington - Dreamer

Date: 6/30/2007

Trip Report:

Dreamer never ceases to amuse me. I’ve climbed it a dozen times over the last 20 years, but when Troggy and I were talking about what to do in Darrington yesterday he said he wanted to climb Dreamer and I said OK. I was looking for an easy day out, and that climb is a little more than my idea of an easy day, but hey: the weather forecast was calling for mostly sunny with freezing levels at 7,000 feet which is near perfect for this adventure. The rock might actually dry out after the prior day’s brief rainshowers but it wasn’t going to be a bake sale on this climb that is in direct sun from sun-up until about 4:00 pm.

The road is in reasonable shape, about the same as it has been the past two years, and some of the brushing we did a few years ago has actually held. There are some new sinkholes along the edge of the road as you get near the end, so my guess is it might not be long before the walk is extended somewhat -- even if the whole thing doesn't wash out three or four miles short of the climbing area. The parking / turn around just before where it turns worse in a rocky little slot next to a large log is shrinking. The trail could use a little brushing, but it is easy to follow and we crossed Copper Creek without having to hike up or downstream.

Mr. Trog is a great partner and we had a good day on the climb. I led Urban Bypass, though couldn’t get to the crux bolt and did a slightly runout detour around it. Jason led the crux pitches of Dreamer, with some seepage in spots, including what is probably the crux move of the route where thin face moves are thankfully right next to a bolt leading to the second undercling. Jason styled it and we enjoyed the upper pitches including the newish knob pitch out left that avoids an easy pitch that unfortunately ends with a nasty bush pull on the more traditional line. As always, I thouroughly enjoyed the views and the high in the sky feeling of those upper pitches.

UrbanB.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic