Homemade Coleman Xtreme hanging stove

mccallboater

I put one together last night. The parts include a thrift shop aluminum $1.50 steamer pot (built in air holes), guitar strings, my beloved Xtreme stove, and a hose clamp to grap the "Powermax" fuel canister to hold it next to the cook pot to keep that baby purring when the temp drops. I don't have to change anything to use the stove on the ground either. This weekend I'll try cooking with it. If it works ok, I'll post some pictures. Any other Xtreme fans out there?

I think all the extra hanging stuff weighs about 6 oz, if that.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet, But I discovered the fuel bottle works best pointing UPHILL, IE the nozzle at the top. I was surprised. I guess I don't understand the physics. The good news is my setup is flexible enough to put the fuel bottle anywhere I want. I've got to find a digital camera...

I also replaced the old guitar strings with 1/16" steel cable and crimps. Much easier to fine tune the size of the cable loops, plus much more bomber for maybe an extra ounce of weight.

The top carabiner absolutely requires insulation. I used a cut up dish rag and athletic (cloth, not plastic) tape. It only takes one mistake to remember everything gets real hot. The good news is I can boil a quart of 72 degree water in less than 3 minutes. That should make up for the extra weight of the rig in about a day of use in the winter.