Randonee gear - tourlite

philfort

I'm thinking of going against my tele roots and purchasing some randonee gear. Planning to use it mostly for approaches to winter climbs, so I'd like it to be as light as possible. So obviously that means considering the dynafit tourlite binding system. But I'm a little worried about climbing in those boots potentially damaging the attachment system - those little holes (I'm not even sure exactly how they attached, I haven't seen one up close). Does anyone here climb in those tourlite-compatible boots, and have any info here?

Any suggestions for tourlite boots that are decent for ice climbing?

Phil

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been back country skiing for a season in a used pair of the Dynafit Tour Lite Tech 3 boots. Those are the lower, simpler, softer, two buckle boots. They are just about as light as my plastic climbing boots. They are relatively comfortable to hike and climb in. My crampons fit them well. I have not climbed any steep ice in them. I wish that they were more supportive when I ski down the mountain, but I am very pleased with how they perform on the way up the hill. The Tourlite Tech bindings are great. I cannot imagine having any problems with the pin holes or the bindings. Many experienced skiers have told me that Dynafit bindings are bombproof. Until you get used to them getting the little pins lined up with the little holes can be a bit irritating. I marked the boots with a sharpy to help locate the holes. I think you should get these bindings. Nothing else is anywhere near as light. The release mechanism works well. The Dynafit boots are light, warm and comfortable. I gather that the taller three buckle boots are more supportive than mine. People I ski with seem to like them a lot. You can probably climb in any of them, but if climbing is your primary goal then pick the lightest, smallest and most comfortable randonee boots (perhaps not the best for skiing down). If you can afford it you might want the fancy liners that are thermally molded to your foot (they are very very hot for spring skiing, but they cannot hold water, so they never get cold, even on long expeditions, or so I have been told). Scarpa also makes a boot that works with the Dynafit binding. There are still some Dynafit boots like mine at the REI Outlet site. I am sure that Randonee boots will climb better than plastic climbing boots will ski!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I realize this is a long shot, but has anyone heard of the Dynafit "Mountain Lite Tech 4" boot? (not TLT4) I see it listed at barrabes, and one other european site, but nowhere in north america, and it's not listed on life-link's dynafit website. It _appears_ to be a mountaineering boot that's compatible with dynafit bindings (it's a lace up, no buckles), but they only have a few sizes, leading me to believe it's no longer made or something. Anyway, anyone heard of it?

The tourlite tech system is pretty much bombproof. The pin binding system has been skied on for years and proven solid. There is a method to increase the DIN setting by locking the toe into walk mode while descending but this has been the cause of some ACL injuries.

The boot you saw from Dynafit is indeed a lace up mountaineering boot with techlite binding compat, but it is not imported to the US.

The TLT4f is a cross between a mountaineering boot and a ski boot. It climbs waterice quite well and is a comfortable walker.

The Dynafit AT skis better and I believe year 2002 comes standard now with a thermofit liner (don't quote me on that yet). The AT crampons, walks, and climbs well.

Mike Adamson

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 10-11-2001).]

phil, from your web-site i gather that you ski alot also. are you trading ski time in winter for technical climbing? or are you climbing to ski? if skiing, why not check out a skiing boot, that which gives power to the skis instead of mushing out in your carve. scarpa "titan" is the most walkable and cheapest scarpa randonee boot, while giving support for power. a new this year "denali 2" is the stiffest. in between is the popular orange one. all are found on telemark-pyrenees web-site with a nice price in U.S. funds. they also have the dynafit (i think)if you are going with them. check it out if you haven't seen this site yet. thanks go out to you for your website. i enjoy it!.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm buying a randonee setup for climbing mainly - it sucked having to carry two pairs of boots on approaches to climbs in alaska! And I've had to do that here several times too, or else go with snowshoes. Snowshoes generally suck.

So skiing performance is secondary. But would be nice. I saw a super cheap lightweight ski made by Hagan, and I thought maybe I could have it both ways - get a dynafit setup with stiff boots that would provide good skiing performance and would be ok for ice climbing, and then try to find a 2nd-hand silveretta and pair it with the Hagan ski for a super cheap combo, and put my climbing boots in that, for when I want a low cut boot where i can flex the ankle.

Then I saw the dynafit mountaineering boot (if that's what it is). That would be a good sol'n too. 2 pairs of boots, one pair of skis.

Supposedly some of the telemark companies are designing a new "nordic norm" that will eliminate the toe tab (by attaching to the boot at the ball of the foot) - interesting.