Tetons, Devil's tower, Blacks hills road trip plan

I've got about a week to play on my way to Michigan to pick up a bunch of family artwork and bring it back to Idaho. What to do...what to do?

Give me your best ideas for one to two day climbs for April in the three areas listed, or any other likely candidates for a fast trip from Boise to Grand Rapids MI and back.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One day climbs this early in the Tetons may be pressing it. Even two day climbs unless stuff up in Death Canyon is open. I wouldn't try one of the peaks unless you were going for something like Midle and S. Teton walk-ups. Devil's tower will have some great climbs and if you luck out with weather, it can be a great time to climb. Obviously you will need a partner for this. Have fun!

There is a guiding service/lodge at the tower. I think the guys name who owns it is Frank. Sorry, I cant remember the name of the place. Im sure a google search would come up with something. Ive heard great things about him. Im sure he would give you beta and help steer you in the right direction for partners.

At this point, we are having unseasonably cold weather - including snow. Might be easier to find some ice to climb. ha!

If you are heading into Michigan via MN/WI, you can always check out the N.Shore. If the weather warms up by the time you leave, it would be a perfect stop. Let me know if you want more info on the area.

If you like offwidth cracks, Vedauwoo is the place, although not near the Tetons and Devil's tower. It is south. You can stay at Climber's Ranch inside the park and may be able to find partners there. You probably won't be able to drive through Yellowstone (the shortest distance between the Tetons and getting over to Devil's Tower, but will likely have to go south and around and north. I'd check WYDOT and the park service to see if Yellowstone roads are open all the way over the pass at the East Entrance that will take you into Cody.