Colchuck NBC or Stuart Cascadian/Ullrichs?

coldiron

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannon Mt. North Couloir looks interesting. I found a couple TR's but no good approach notes. Is it obvious where you turn off the main trail? I've climbed in the area but don't recall Cannon. Also how much vert do you get and appproximate pitch?

I tried Cannon Mt. North Couloir about this time last year, and had problems with figuring out when to get off the mail trail. Eventually I figured it out, but it didn't really seem like worth the trouble. It was quite pretty, but much more of a snow hike than a climb.

I was out at Stuart Sat/Sun and our original plan was to ski Ulrich’s but everything was bulletproof all day. I think the lower sections may require a rap or two. A couple of my friends did the Cascadian on 3/25 and there has been significant snow melt in the past week from comparing photos.

It was sunny, cold and windy. We ended up climbing up the Cascadian and skiing that. I think with last nights snow conditions may have improved. I got a good picture of the south side if you’re interested.

Edited by ilookeddown

How close can you get in a 4wd to the trailhead? Do you think it would be at all feasible to ride the rest of the way to the trailhead over snow with studded tires on a mountain bike? Just an idea- If it's packed down from snowmobiles I should be able to ride in a ways, but slushy deep snow or fresh snow would shut me down.

The approach to Cannon is pretty easy. Hike up Mounty Creek road to the TH and then cut back along the old logging road that begins at the trailhead until you get to the outer slide path and then head straight up to the summit from there. Don't cut back up too early and don't try to ski straight back to the road unless you like deadfall and posthole torture.

Well, you will not be able to drive it. I did it last week in April last year and only got to within 4 mile of the trail head with an old pathfinder w/mud-terrain tires. It made for a very long day. You will not be able to bike it b/c it is very bumpy from all the sled traffic on a non-groomed trail. You would be better off just skinning or walking in.

It just over 8 miles to the trail head and it took us 45 minutes on sleds due to trail conditions.

Anyway here is a picture taken yesterday of the South Side.

CIMG0416.jpg

Definately a good run because you get the couloir and also the ski back to the TH. It should be good to go. There is a second couloir too so hit the first and then go back for the double whammy and then ski out and you've got yourself a pretty big day trip.

Stuart is a good choice after a good melting of the road so the approach isn't such a drag. Best to wait just a little longer. I've enjoyed it in it's prime (Ulrich's) during Memorial Day weekend in the past.

canon.jpg

Here's an update on conditions for stuart, teannaway approach. I was able to drive to within 3 miles of Beverely Creek and with a few carries, ski all the way back. Instead of going over Long's Pass, we used the Beverly Creek approach. I really liked it. Cascadian was in great condition and the summit has a lot of snow. Ulrich's was a great ski, all that I expected. We had one short carry, but I think we could've avoided it had we gone slightly more skier's right.

What a beautiful day friday and saturday's clouds ended up keeping the snow firmer, which was good for sluff control.