GPS

adr_901

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very happy with the Garmin eTrex. Lightweight, compact, accurate and inexpensive ($120 at REI). They have a bunch of different eTrex "flavors" now, including one with a built-in compass, map, barometric altimeter, blah blah. But a) you should have a real compass as backup anyway, b) ditto for the map (and the electronic versions aren't yet detailed enough to be useful anyway), and c) I've found the GPS altitude to be about as accurate as an altimeter (high accuracy requires a reasonably clear view of the sky, moreso than for a horizontal fix, but you never have to calibrate it). Just go for the plain yellow one, you won't regret it.

I'll put in a second vote for the e-trex. It's so tiny and light.

Of course, you should never *rely* on the GPS - always have a map and compass backup. (in fact, you really need a compass to work with the GPS for most navigation anyway).

But I'll have to disagree with Rodchester. Need to get somewhere in a whiteout above treeline? GPS is the way - unless you don't mind wasting time. Repeatedly taking bearings with a map & compass will be nowhere near as accurate as zeroing in on a GPS waypoint (assuming the waypoint is accurate to begin with).

A trip two summers ago comes to mind - arriving in Boston Basin in light drizzle with about 50 foot visiblity. We were planning to climb the N ridge of Forbidden, so we needed to get across Sharkfin col. None of us had been there before. We bailed, partly due to the drizzle, and the time and effort we knew it would take to reach the col - a mile or two of taking compass readings in 50 foot visiblity - how accurate can you get in that???

But with a GPS, we might have decided to continue on. We *knew* it was sunny above the drizzle (the cloud deck kept lowering, and the next day, when we would have been on the ridge, turned out beautiful & sunny), so the climb would have been a go!

[This message has been edited by philfort (edited 04-26-2001).]