Mountain Hardware Bivy

Jman

Has anyone had any experience with the Conduit SL Bivy or the Micro Mesh Bivy?

Price is decent, but how's the durablility, performance, waterproofness, etc?

If you like either one, where's the best place to purchase?

Any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Conduit SL Bivy - a big hearty thumbs down. I bought it as a bag cover for winter, and light summer use - it's not very breathable (even in warmer temps), nor is it very waterproof(spills run off as well as they did with the standard material, which is non-H20 proof). The Zip-In feature is pretty nice, but I found this slightly drafty in the winter - and it's heavy. It's a nice bivy sac if your not really planning for it to rain, ever, on your trips. If your looking for a bag cover - go with the OR dryloft, or get a bag with a Dryloft or Conduit shell - if your looking for something which may ward off precipitation - go with the OR/Bibler/Integral Designs Gore-tex sacks. The Conduit's cheap - but that's about all (and not in the long run)- if you really want one get it at REI so you can return after using it and finding out how much it heads.

Carl

I've got the OR Advanced bivy sack and have been quite pleased with its performance. Kept me dry through 4 days of rain and snow in the N. Cascades last summer. It's a snap to set up and having the hoops to keep the bag a foot or so off your face is ideal if you spend any time awake in the thing- it also allows you to move around and tend the stove etc without getting too wet. The bug netting is also a great feature for the soggy PNW climate.

I had to swallow hard at the price tag when I bought it, but it's worth it in the long run.

Couple of years back Climbing rag had a review of biv sacs. They were tested here in our back yard (Cascades) by some locals. At the time the best sacs zipped around the top of the head, as opposed to across the chest.

I bought a LL Bean biv sac for just under 100 bucks. weighs 12 or 14 oz (can't remember exactly) and was the lightest at the time. G-tex upper water proof lower. I love it. Been out in the rain in it no problems yet. I have got used to having the material on/in my face. Also has bug netting that has been very useful against them nasties!

Smoker