Georgia, the republic, not the state

oh man, i quit my desk job, i am in africa, and i am really missing this site, and spraying as best a noobie can. sorry to ken4ord, i was going to try and see him in rawanda, but it takes forever to get there by bus, not going to work out.

point of this thread is, i am going to the republic of georgia for the peace corps in june, so like many other posts i am looking for info or people or places to get some beta too, everything is helpful for sure. don't know about rockclimbing, but i am sure hiking etc will abound, so that is why i post to the generous and thoughtful minds of cc.com.

sidenote: i get back to portland in early april, and leave in june, so i think i can avoid getting another job, if anyone is looking to do some trips or mid week climbing and needs a partner, all is well, think i will have some extra time. thanks.

and if you try to spray, give me time to respond, i only check email about once a week. have a good tuesday. :brew:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frith Maier has some good info in her Trekking Russia and Central Asia book. Bender's Caucasus guide show's the main routes on a lot of amazing mountains (Ushba, etc). I am going to PM you the contact info of a Georgian guide I met in Russia a few years ago, he seemed solid and was a nice guy. I have spent a lot of time looking at those peaks, still haven't been over. Georgians are cool, and the mountains are spectacular. I just had a bottle of Hvanchkara that I had saved for about 5 years, it was great. Tasted almost more like mead than wine.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

afaik, there's plenty of cragging and some really good alpine stuff in Georgia. Up and down the valley next to Elbrus, you've got a pretty good amount to do. I'll see if i can find my notes on it.

Visit Turkey for some more cragging. And some alpine stuff too...