central oregon BC ski????

letsroll

Afer looking at the avi forcast and the increasing danger of the snow pack looks like my trip to South sister friday night is not such a hot idea. I was wondering about heading to the top of Mt. Batchlor for a quick trip before the lifts open. When do they do avi controll? Is there anything I need to know? Man this snow pack is screwing with my weekends. Need a long trip soon. Feel the need for a death march. Seems like Tumalo's east side will be off limits as well.

Anybody want to head up??? Otherwise it will most likely lift serv only for me. :( Sunday game on when Jlag gets back.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bachy touring policy is here:

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/health_and_safety/boundary_policy/index.html

Essentially, don't get in the way of the cats that may be grooming on summit before opening. They have had some issues of clueless skinners skinning up below cats that are in operation, or below cats that are cutting the switchbacks to the top.

As for South Sister:

Tonight: Rain. Snow level 5000 feet. Snow accumulation 4 to 7 inches. Pass winds southwest 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the morning. Snow level 6500 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy. Free air freezing level 8000 feet. Pass winds southeast 5 to 15 mph.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the afternoon. Snow level 8000 feet. Pass winds south 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday night: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain. Snow level 5000 feet

The FL of 8000' kind of sucks as most of the 'normal' spots we go to around here are below or very near that.

There is a shitload of snow that will be warming up.

hate to be always saying it but shit man check out the wallowas

aneroid mountain should be interesting it goes up to 9000+ and has some fun ski lines on it.

it always stays a bit colder out there but even if it doesn't avi areas are easy to avoid

If it gets cold enough at night sublimination sucks moisture out of the snow pack. I've been out there with 40 degree days and 20 degree nights. Refurbushed powder every day.

But right after skiing powder skinning up bachelor is my favorite thing to do.