CLEANUP AT FRENCHMAN COULEE!!

Craig Pope

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for picking up all of the trash Craig, the placed looked great. The new metal signs we replaced are near Agathla Tower and at the top of the hill where you break off the go to the gullies on the right. We also reinforced the gulley #3 sign.

We need some more metal signs:

1. At the exit to the chimney saying Sunshine Wall right, and Riverview Park Wall left.

2. Gulley #2

3. Gulley #3

4. One where the trail forks between the M&M Wall area and Sunshine Wall.

Maybe we can work on this later this year. Who made those signs? Can we get some more made?

The forks encountered after decending Gully #1 are: Kotick Memorial Wall, Powerhouse and Moonshine, Fat and Skinny Man/ M&M, Jigsaw, Millennium and Corn Walls, and finally Riverview Park.

Gully #2 never had a sign and I think there is a reason. It's a rather marginal route and I think the FCCC group might have wanted to discourage its use in favor of Gully #3. My take on it is is that a lot of people use it and many turn too early and end up above King Pins and make needless tracks across the mesa. I'd rather see people stay on a trail.

• 11 months later...

Hello there. I saw your post while doing some research on the Frenchman's Coulee for a paper I'm writing. I love the Frenchman Coulee and Echo Basin area, it's been a part of my growing up and learning to climb, and was wondering if you knew if there was going to be another opportunity to help clean-up the area in mid-late March of this year. I live in Bellingham, WA so I wont be able to make it to the east side of the mountains until then, but would love to help out if help is needed. If anyone can refer me to a website, group, phone, person, etc. that may be in charge of this, I'd love to provide some of my own services. Thanks a ton!

JAD,

Climber's group for the Vantage area is the FCCC, the Frenchman Coulee Climbers' Coalition (Frenchman is the main coulee, but there are other named coulees in the near vicinity that have established routes). They're set up as a Yahoo group here. From that page you'll see that Kevin Dwight is the contact, and you're welcome to post a message there as well. Others are active here at cc.com and may well respond to your post, including LUCKY and Paul Detrick.

Here's more info on FC at the the Washington Climbers' Coalition site, and here's the original FC info page on the net originally put up by the late, great Bill Robins. RIP, Bill. Thanks to whoever's keeping it up.

If you're jonesing for rock, JAD, don't wait 'til mid-March. Now's when FC gets good, and is well worth the drive from B-ham for at least a full, dry day of cragging. As far as a clean-up goes, don't be afraid to grab the bull by the horns and go for it. Good luck and cheers.