sleeping bags a plan??

letsroll

Ok I have been in need of a new sleeping bag to add onto whatI already have. Right now I have been using a 30 deg bag for everything. For safty as well as comfort (also g-friend giving me a hard time)I decided to FINALLY get a new bag. So this is my thoughts. I have decided to go with feathered friends. I think I will go with a 10 deg bag with an Epic shell. It seems it will work most of the time around hear. Then if I need another bag for colder temps then I can go with a -10 deg bag.

So is this a good strategy? Or should I go for the zero bag.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... difficult to answer without knowing exactly the purposes of the bag, but here's my two cents. If you've been using a 30 degree bag, you may be able to get away with a 15 or 20 degree. Unfortunately, FF lists only 20 or 10 degree bags on their website, but my experience with their bags is that they rate them very conservatively for temperature. I've always used a 15 degree bag (-9 C) in the Canadian Rockies for early spring to late fall trips, and found it more than adequate. However, a lot of that depends on what kind of tent (if any) you are using, what kind of pad, other people in the tent, etc. Personally, I sleep pretty hot, and I'd find a zero bag WAY too warm for most uses (outside of winter), and therefore it might be a bit limited. Most of the time, my 15 degree bag is open and used like a quilt. However, if you're still wanting to use your 30 degree bag for warmer trips, then a 10 degree bag might be the way to go to give you more versatility.

Bottom line, though, is you're a lucky guy if you pick up a FF bag. I'm jealous!

Bear, ya I think a 15 deg would be better but feather friends only does 10 deg and I think the 20 deg is too close to the 30 deg bag that I plan on using for spring, summer and fall. This will be my winter/colder temps bag. I am also a warm sleeper so your words on the zero bag confirm what I had thought.

DB, I was going to go with the Epic thinking that it breathed a little more. I will be using a tent or bivi bag most of the time anyway. I little too scared to use a bag on its own given that it is not seemed sealed.

Have other people used the bag on its own with out problems??

Edited by letsroll

FF bags=great.

Good plan, then later get the -10. I have a -10 w/epic shell, had extra down put in around the feet, it has served me really well and held up great. I use it mainly in colder/higher places. Their ratings are maybe a bit conservative; the bags are pretty toasty.

Ahhh -- I see. I misunderstood and thought you were looking for a bag to replace your 30 degree bag because it was too cold. In that case, the 10 degree option is a good one. You can always double up with the 30 degree for really cold temps as well.

As far as Epic, I haven't had any personal experience with it, but some of the reviews I've read on it have been less than steller. Sorry I can't offer anything more productive than that. The Gear Guy from Outside Online recently wrote this piece which you might find interesting:

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200702/20070201.html

My 15 degree bag uses Pertex Quantum, which is pretty sweet, and my really cold (-30) WM bag uses DryLoft, which, like eVent, is loud, loud, loud, and doesn't breathe nearly as well as advertised. However, the peace of mind of knowing the bag won't easily get wet was worth it for me.