Tram on Cheam

Furrball

Just reading in the CHWK paperabout a proposed tram going up to the ridge next to Cheam. This could be cool in the winter for backcountry skiing. Quick accsess to the backsides runs. The area is already heavily used by sledheads so this may actually benifit the area with more backcountry ski usage. They may find somewhere else to go.

The only downside is the proposed restaurant at the top.

Any other opinions on this.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that a lift would discourage snowmobiles, they aren't really that sensitive about other users! The econmics of a tram would never make sense:

1. nearly 7000 ft of elevation from the Fraser River would be a fucking lot of money (not to mention that the rock is crap and placing towers would probably be a nightmare)

2. There wouldn't be enough revenue from a restaurant to pay it off (the skiing on "the backside" aint all that great or extensive and lift construction would never pass environmental review -- there are healthy goat populations around Welch and probably Lady too, though I've never seen them there)

So nothing to worry about in my opinion

that thing has about as much chance of being built as there is of building a 8 lane highway through the seymour river to squamish. not to mention the back bowl is the back of chipmunk creek [sNAFFLEHOUND] with beautiful view of logged out hole and redneck hunters to look at from revolving restaurant [Roll Eyes]

• 1 year later...