Treating (waterproofing) Gore-Tex/Conduit jackets

pup_on_the_mountain

I have a TNF 3-layer Gore-Tex XCR jacket and a Mountain Hardwear Conduit bib (pants). The jacket is more than four years old, and the pants are more than two years old. They seem to have lost most of their waterproofing. I tried spraying them last summer with the waterproofing spray, but it seems to have worn off by now. I did not wash them before spraying last time though. What do you people do to keep your shells waterproof? Does washing them with some special detergent (before spraying, or just washing alone) help? Is there a specific brand of waterproofing spray that you like?

TIA for any suggestions.

PS: I tried searching for similar threads, and couldn't spot one. May be I did not use the right words to search.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wash. Rinse. Rinse again. Then spray.

Nikwax makes a special detergent for gore-tex clothing.

Personally I prefer the spray. Why would you wash water repellency onto the inside of your jacket, where you presumably want it to be hydrophilic?

If you haven't washed in 4 years, it's quite possible that sweat, oils and dirt have broken down the gore-tex membrane in your jacket and no amount of washing and DWRing will restore waterproofness. In which case - get a new jacket!

I have an old Marmot 3 layer gore-tex jacket that I have washed/treated with Nikwax wash and spray several times- it works very well. Use the Nikwax wash. Just be sure to wash and rinse, rinse, rinse. After the spray dries, stick the jacket in the dryer on low/med. for 10 min. - no fabric softner. Just warm it, don't let it get hot.