Globe & Mail Article on Slesse

gertlush

If they cleared that summit of Slesse they would have hit one of the Border Peaks unless they managed to bank hard north up Tamihi, but that's too much like talking about Mt. Hood
That's assuming that you knew their trajectory, which you didn't; I've seen the flight studies; a few seconds (compass seconds) of variance in the flight-path and according to what I saw, they would have cleared ALL summits. As it was they almost missed Slesse altogether - "almost" is a big word. Sure, they might have hit the Border Peaks, or even American Sumas Mountain during their desc3ent if they'd cleared the big peaks. The point I was making was that at the altitude they were at, it was a bit of a freak accident that they hit Slesse at all...(they weren't supposed to be that far south, for one thing....)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordop's sig line 3 posts before.

Dick died about 25 years ago.

His stepson Matt died a couple years later.

Matt was a good friend for a long time.

We used to ride in the back seat of Dick's Buick convertable through the Big Blackfoot valley with all manner of Jazz blaring on the 8Track loud enough to hear through the roar of the engine and wind.

That line of Dick's is about going forward.

Or perhaps about discovering the ability to move forward and the healing it brings.

I'm not meaning to dwell on the past; I'm not as "close to this" as many other relatives of the dead. All I'm asking is that people don't have a flippant attitude towards remains that they find up there, or disregard for the special character of the place not only as what it means to the relatives of the dead, but in plain and simple terms because those skulls, femurs, etc were REAL PEOPLE, not just curiosities to be shrugged off. I would be saying the same thing about a native burial ground...imagine if someone had a flippant attitude about fooling around in graveyards...same deal. Has nothing to do with the past, and everything to do with how people behave in the present.