So. Sister

lisa

This past weekend, myself and my pooch and 20 or, more others climbed the So. Sister. I headed in Sat. early afternoon, slow getting it together after the late night festivities with Anna, Sk, jkrueger, mtnrgr and bellemontage.

I found a dry spot to camp off the snow and enjoyed a roaring fire under a full moon that night.

The following morning, clouds rolled about, masking the summit on occasion. You can skin the majority of the route up, although there is a section on the ridge where you have to carry your skies through rock and rubble. Many of the folks I encountered were on their first mountain climb, none the less, they were snowboarding the descent. It was refreshing to catch a wind of their enthusiasm and excitement for the unknown.

At the summit, there were no views to be had, in fact you could not see 20ft, others asked where the true summit was, I simply pointed off into the whiteness beyond.

The snow was heavy even from the summit, I don't thing time of day was an issue according to others who had descended earlier and experienced the same slow going slop.

I cut the steeper slopes before descending and all of them sluffed off the surface layer.

With two snowboarders following behind, we ripped through the trees and then slowly traversed into camp.

Smiles were seen on every face that day. Congrats to the newbies who summited their first peak!!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic