Thorsen Peak 6/9/02

Off_White

This was an enjoyable outing, so I wanted to recommend it to anyone looking for a good little alpine primer. I took my stepson out to further his mountain education on the east ridge/face of Thorsen, just north of Mt. Washington. You get a little bit of everything: clearcut, steep timber, low angle ridge with snow & slabs, steep gully with moats & slopes to 45 degrees, boulder scrambling, and longish traverse requiring routefinding to the main summit. Great views too. We didn't see anyone up there, and no signs of any other passage once we left the faint traces in the timber. And all that for only a half day's outing! Much better than say, the usual on Mt Ellinor.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the TR Off White --

I hadn't ever given Thorsen Peak any real thought prior to your post. I've been looking at doing Washington soon, so Thorsen's another interesting option.

Question - how old is your stepson? I've got two boys 13 and 11 - would they be up to Thorsen? They've both been up Elinor in the winter...

The Bone

Bonehead: yeah, I'd never considered it until I scoped things out last week following my Washington debacle. I confess the high roadhead had an appeal. Ben (stepson) is turning 21 in August, so he's got a few years on your boys. He's had a smattering of technical rock play over the last 18 years, but his alpine experience has been limited to N Ridge of Stuart with me and Black Peak with his friends. Some snow and scrambling skills and are important for Thorsen, its a little more serious than Ellinor. Can your boys self arrest? It could be an okay trip for them, but I'd recommend you bring a 9 mil and a few slings so you could belay them over the sections with consequences.