Expedition Food Through Customs

wfinley

In October we will be headed to Nepal and have been advised to bring our own high altitude food. En-route to Nepal we will be forced to overnight in Bangkok (and thus have to go through customs) and then we'll finally head to Nepal. Normally we make all of our own climbing meals -- a mixture of rice, sauces, dried foods and meats. We then take each meal and vacuum seal them into individual servings.

Can anyone give me feedback regarding taking such food through both Bangkok and Nepal customs? I'm assuming the standard Mtn. House meals are alright - what about homemade ones?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bring your own food from the USA...homemade...prepackaged, or whatever.

However, things like Ramen are easy to find in Katmandu, so don't worry about that stuff, or candy bars, and some general snack/lunch foods. The tuna and other canned meats sucks there, so make sure you bring the nice stuff from home. The new foil packages work well, and even the hydrated little foil meals, if your shipping/yak/porter budget allows for it.

You will not need to pass customs in Thailand with your baggage if you check your stuff all the way through from the USA to Nepal. I assume you're on Thai Air, and they usually stop-over in BNK--which is a "forced stopover," and whatever you check through to Nepal...will be there when you get there. (On most airlines, any stopover of 24 hours or less gives you the ability to check all the way through, even though you may be stopping someplace). So, Thailand is no problem.

Now, bringing food from the USA (or elsewhere) to Nepal can be an issue...and I'll PM you my response on this part, if you want "the rest of the story." It's really quite simple, but I prefer not to advertise it in today's net-savy world, where every official is checking the net.

Have a great trip!

Edited by treknclime

If your transfer is greater than 12 hours, they will refuse to check your bags all the way through to Kathmandu. My experience was with a 16-hour layover (twice), and I was required to go through retrieve my bags, go through customs, and then check in again 4 hours before my flight (they wouldn't let me check in sooner). Both trips were on Royal Thai.

My experience is nothing fresh or unpreserved is generally allowed through customs. This is to ensure that bugs and diseases aren't accidentally transfered. This includes dried foods - home made beef jerky, for example, won't be allowed in if they catch it.

Good luck

Your airlines "might" be able to check your bags all the way through...withstanding your long layover. Call your agent, and see if they can insert the request into your flight record...then when you get to the counter at check-in...it's there in your record...and the agent can make the call...if they have the latitude. Who knows...

My buddies fly into K-du twice a year...Thai Airways will check all the way through, with a layover in Bangkok. It's part of their "Royal Orchid Service." smile.gif

Will PM you a response later today.